Hen are not laying. HELP!

Top Hen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
I have 11 RIR hens that are not laying eggs. They are eight months old, I was getting two to three eggs every other day for a while when they were suppose to start laying, but it has been ten days or more and I haven't gotten any eggs. The hens are healthy and eating and playing normal. There was a Roo in the mix for a while, but he has been gone for a few weeks. This is the first time that I have experienced this and I dont know what to do. I have checked in the hen house and no signs of laying and eating eggs. Please help. Thanks.. Ray

Thanks for the information. I would like to add that I always raise RIR or NHR hens. This is not my first time. But it is the first time I used this hatchery. I would like to be sure that I am not missing something or see if others are having this problem with young hens at the proper laying age. The only thing that I have done different is I am using a different watering bowl. (Using rubber instead of metal) which I will go back to the metal. Please any information will be appreciated becuase I need to figure this out before winter sets in. thanks, -Ray

Thanks for the information. I would like to add that I always raise RIR or NHR hens. This is not my first time. But it is the first time I used this hatchery. I would like to be sure that I am not missing something or see if others are having this problem with young hens at the proper laying age. The only thing that I have done different is I am using a different watering bowl. (Using rubber instead of metal) which I will go back to the metal. Please any information will be appreciated becuase I need to figure this out before winter sets in. thanks, -Ray

Have you ruled out egg eating, egg hiding or parasites?

Definately not eating eggs. But I have notice a couple of hawks that visit and scare then hens through out the day. Also they dont rush out of the house in the morning to drink like my other flocks have. It is very frustrating cause this is the time that they usually lay the double yolk eggs and I am having to buy eggs right now. They seem very healthy but not sure about parasites how do I check. I dont see visable signs. Thanks.

Definately not eating eggs. But I have notice a couple of hawks that visit and scare then hens through out the day. Also they dont rush out of the house in the morning to drink like my other flocks have. It is very frustrating cause this is the time that they usually lay the double yolk eggs and I am having to buy eggs right now. They seem very healthy but not sure about parasites how do I check. I dont see visable signs. Thanks.

It could be the stress from the hawks...

Back
Top Bottom