Hen ate medicated chick starter-how long do we wait to eat eggs?

What speckeled hen said. The medication in the start n grow is not an anti-biotic. I'm sure eggs and meat from commercial growers are exposed to all types of meds. I don't think the meds would hurt you, but most ppl raise their own eggs and chickens so they won't get the residual of the meds in commercial foods.

Quote:
I know NOTHING about meat/broiler chicks and before you raised these questions, I would have thought that they were fed non-medicated chick starter feed. I have no plans on doing so but if I raised meat birds, I would research it thoroughly to find out what they should eat.

In this particular situation, I am raising the chicks (not meat birds) for someone else and he supplied me with the feed he wanted me to use. Unfortunately, he cannot remember what kind of feed it is that he gave me, so I was left with unanswered questions.

I am sorry if my lack of knowlege annoyed you. It was not intentional. I have saved the first two eggs she laid (I am keeping them separate from the rest) until I decide what to do. Even though I have many more eggs than my family can use--I give the excess to friends, neighbors, etc.--it just "kills" me to throw out beautiful fresh eggs, so that's why I posted the question in the first place.

BTW, I wish to thank everyone for their input.
smile.png

Sorry if you got grouched at a bit.

I am sure Speckledhen is correct. Personally, I would eat the eggs in your situation, unless I had a severe allergy to an antibiotic that might be in the feed. Even then, I would probably chance it. Giving them away might not be a great idea, though, for a week or 10 days.

I suspect it is illegal to sell eggs when a chicken has had an antibiotic, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are unsafe for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
AAAKKK! Medicated feeds...this explains a lot! I am terribly allergic to almost every major class of antibiotic. No wonder sometimes I get sick after eating some commercial chicken or some eggs. It is not "in my head".
he.gif

Thanks for this discussion, now I have ANOTHER reason to get more chickens! hahahahahah!

msgenie, I hope I didn't upset you with my questions. If I did, I didn't mean to.

Your questions got me thinking about the 5 broilers that I have been getting ready to butcher. I already know that something in store bought chickens gives me a headache everytime I eat chicken.

I was just wondering if it is something the chickens are fed before they are butchered.

I was worried too so rather than worry about it, I just decided to scramble them and feed them back to the chicks and hens. They all love it and I will eat them in a few more weeks.

I had medicated starter and grower feeds that I mixed with layer feed and never had a problem with it. I usually mix it when there is a momma with chicks so everyone can eat out of the same bin without any ill effects. Once the chicks grew up, then grower feed with layer and then when they start laying, all layer.

I'm using Purina *Sun Fresh Recipe" Start and Grow medicated chick feed and it does not appear to contain any antibiotics. It has vitamins A and E and some other additives. When they get to about 18 weeks I will change their feed, but I don't think I would throw away any eggs that might appear earlier than that.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom