Hen ate soft egg!!!!

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
While the flock was trying to get their spots on the roost, one of them laid a soft egg and slapped it onto the coop floor. one of the hens thought it was a delicious nighttime snack. Is this alright for her?

While the flock was trying to get their spots on the roost, one of them laid a soft egg and slapped it onto the coop floor. one of the hens thought it was a delicious nighttime snack. Is this alright for her?
She'll be completely fine, yes. It's like sheep eating the placenta after giving birth to a lamb -- it won't hurt her at all.
However, do be careful with chickens eating eggs -- if they figure out that there's good stuff inside the shell, they could start breaking even the hard-shelled eggs and eating them. This doesn't harm them, but it does seriously damage egg production and can make the nesting boxes absolutely disgusting with residual egg slime.

Happened to me too. It is fine for the one that ate it. But keep an eye on the one that produced it. Laying a soft egg now and then can be just an ‘oooops’, but can be a sign of more serious issues if it persists.
That's my problem, I forgot when but maybe a couple of weeks ago maybe more than that someone laid a soft egg. I'm thinking it's from heat stress, pecking order stress, possibly rooster stress too. Other than that during the day, everything is fine it's just at night they all act like toddlers so trying to pay attention to one is hard when another is yelling at me. yes, they scream at me. 😭

Back
Top Bottom