Hen attacked a baby chick

Trilous

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 10, 2014
Hi there, I have 2 Silkies, as they were both broody thought I would try and hatch an egg. Got 3 fertilised eggs from a friend and they have been sitting on them constantly, very protective. One hatched over the weekend and my younger Silke (who is just a year old) attacked the chick immediately and killed it. Another one has hatched, this time the older Silkie is sitting on it but as soon as she got off, the younger one tried to attack it again and I had to stop it. I have now separated them but wondered why would she do this?

Also one of my Silkies has the blue patches and the other one doesn't? any one know why?

Thanks for your help

Always separate hens and their chicks from the rest of the flock! It's important, because there are a lot of hens who will attack chicks. Anyways, I think that your hen probably thought of the chicks as weak little things that aren't welcome.Some chickens tend to want to kill chicks or sick weak chickens. And as far as the blue patches, I would guess they are different types of Silkies.. But I don't know much abot Silkies.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, keep the chicks separated from the others until they are about 12 weeks old and able to defend themselves.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your chicks. X3, it is usually best to separate a broody and her eggs or new chicks from the flock. Some hens, even if they are broody, will attack and kill chicks they do not recognize as theirs. She may be fine if you leave her hatch eggs by herself, or she may not. You could post pictures of the blue spots you are talking about and someone may know what they are. Check out the chicks part of the Laerning Center, there are several good articles on broody hens https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, you need to keep broodies and their babies separated from the flock. The other hens can be aggressive toward babies. Once momma is no longer raising them, keep the babies separated from the flock till they are 3 or 4 months old and similar in size to the rest of the flock.

IF the blue patches are on the sides of her head that's where her ears are. Are they both hens the same body color ? If the other one doesn't have blue patches she has a fault if you had wanted to show her. If they are hatchery bought birds they are probably pet quality.

Two broodies together usually do not work out. Either they steal each others chicks, fight over them or one attacks the others chicks and kills them. Chickens can be quite barbaric.

Back
Top Bottom