Hen attacked by eagle, i scared it away but she’s injured. HELP PLEASE

My dad says he saw a new gash on her neck. i haven’t gotten to look at it yet but he says he saw fat so it’s pretty deep. she’s still vocalizing and looks bright-eyed and she tried to escape the coop when i went to check on her. i might not have pics until later sorry. i’m trying my best.
My rule of thumb is, if a chicken has a will to live they generally will. Treat her wounds and watch her heal. I've had some atrocious wounds on my birds, but they wanted to live so I gave them that chance. All but one did. That one was a teeny chick whose wounds were to great, but he tried his best. Good luck! Let me know if you need any specific advice because I've seen almost all of it. :)

should we put her in the small run next to her friends run?
That would be fine, but if she seems stressed from being seperate let her be with them. Watch to make sure they don't pick her though. Do you have a rooster? You don't want him mating her right now so if you decide to put them together remove him.

My rule of thumb is, if a chicken has a will to live they generally will. Treat her wounds and watch her heal. I've had some atrocious wounds on my birds, but they wanted to live so I gave them that chance. All but one did. That one was a teeny chick whose wounds were to great, but he tried his best. Good luck! Let me know if you need any specific advice because I've seen almost all of it. :)

No painkillers, unless she is visibly affected by it. If you decide on it use baby aspirin in water. 1 crushed up per quart.

That would be fine, but if she seems stressed from being seperate let her be with them. Watch to make sure they don't pick her though. Do you have a rooster? You don't want him mating her right now so if you decide to put them together remove him.
thanks so much. we don’t have a rooster but it’s such a large gash i don’t want to put her in with the others. so we might do the run thing.

If you haven't yet, a broad spectrum oral antibiotic would be a really good idea.
The claws of any raptor are likely to be covered in nasty microbes.
Throughout history, more people died from infection following injury than actual injury.

If you haven't yet, a broad spectrum oral antibiotic would be a really good idea.
The claws of any raptor are likely to be covered in nasty microbes.
Throughout history, more people died from infection following injury than actual injury.
we just bought broad spectrum injectable because it was all they had. should we use that?

also she’s going to the vet tomorrow
If the vet recommends euthanization, please don't do so unless she has obviously given up. Vets sometimes aren't accustomed to the pain tolerance or healing power of a chicken. They can imagine the same wounds on a cat or dog and assume there isn't any hope. If she's still eating, drinking, and walking she will more than likely live.

Back
Top Bottom