Hen attacked by guinea

Spay saline or Vetericyn on her wounds twice a day, then put plain Neosporin ointment on them, and into the eyes. She needs to be separated until she heals, and I would hold food and water up to her beak every 2 hours. If she won’t eat try tube feeding. She should eat if she is hungry. Temp her with tuna and egg, but chicken feed moistened is best for her. Let us know when you can see her eyes open. I hope that they are okay.

My sweet, docile Dark Brahma was attacked by my bully guinea yesterday. Her head is bloody and her eyes swollen shut. I have washed her head and applied Vetrycin and syringed warm water into her mouth which she drank readily. I have her in a hay filled box in my heated tack room now. What else can I do for her? She isn't eating but I think it may be because she can't see. Is there anything I could syringe into her? She seems more comfortable now and talks to me when I go see her.
I'm sorry to hear she's been injured.

Looks like you have received good suggestions for her care.

I have a rooster that just got into a fight with another rooster about a week ago. When I found him his health was covered in blood and his wattles head and come were really swollen. Both of his eyes were swollen shut and I didn't think that he was going to make it. He was already blind/had really bad vision in one eye so I was really afraid of his other eye being messed up. Anyway when I bought him inside I cleaned his whole head because the whole head was completely covering in cuts and scratches. I put this spray on his wounds that is made for chickens and I sprayed silver on his head and wounds. I put electrolytes in his water and he drank it when I put the end of his beak in it. He would drink fine but I couldn't get him to eat until after a day almost and then he wouldn't eat much. I had to really help him a lot he still wouldn't open his eyes. He slowly got better and opens his eyes about 4 or 5 days after the fight. His good eye didn't get injured thankfully. And he is doing fine now.

I hope that your hen heals good too. Sorry this happened.

Spay saline or Vetericyn on her wounds twice a day, then put plain Neosporin ointment on them, and into the eyes. She needs to be separated until she heals, and I would hold food and water up to her beak every 2 hours. If she won’t eat try tube feeding. She should eat if she is hungry. Temp her with tuna and egg, but chicken feed moistened is best for her. Let us know when you can see her eyes open. I hope that they are okay.
She is doing much better today. Eating and drinking. I've been spraying the wounds with Vetrycin and using a tetracycline eye ointment in her eyes. Both eyes are open now and she seems able to see. I'm having her sleep in a big dog crate , then letting her walk around the barn during the day. She even laid an egg today. Thank you for your response!

Back
Top Bottom