Hen attacked by hawk breathing weird

Biancadenysha

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2018
image.jpg
two of my hens were attacked by hawks one of them is gone and the other we found with no injuries but blood either coming out of her nose or blood in her beak from something else. We have her inside and she is breathing from her mouth, salivating a lot. She keeps closing Her eyes. She did not complain or show signs of pain when we picked her up. I have no idea what to do and there is not vets near by. Any ideas on what it is or what I should do ☹️☹️

Sorry for this...:( hope she recovers soon

She certainly looks very shaken up, and her not complaining may be due to terrible shock
Maybe her comb is cut, or is there definitely no visible external injuries?

She appears to have blood on her breast feathers could she have an injury there when pulling feathers aside? Or is this just dripped from airways? If find injuries can send pics. Keep isolated for the moment to assure return to heath with own food/water. Add sav a chick electrolytes to water.

Last edited:
Sorry for this...:( hope she recovers soon

She certainly looks very shaken up, and her not complaining may be due to terrible shock
Maybe her comb is cut, or is there definitely no visible external injuries?
Definitely no external injuries, she does have a cut on her comb so I’m guessing the blood is from that or maybe from the hawk. He did take another one of our hens. She’s sleeping now hopefully she’ll get better. Thank you for replying.

Definitely no external injuries, she does have a cut on her comb so I’m guessing the blood is from that or maybe from the hawk. He did take another one of our hens. She’s sleeping now hopefully she’ll get better. Thank you for replying.

That’s good. Just wash with soap and water the comb once or twice per day. Can apply neosporin ointment, blu kote, or vetericin spray to protect against infection. Comb should heal. Sounds like ok and doing well.

If you have the blu kote spray or something similar you may want to spray it into a little dish then gently dab it in with a paper towel. I haven’t met an animal yet that will let me spray it near their head/face! Learned that the hard way with one cow last year, dabbed it on the second one without issue though. Wear gloves or you’ll have purple fingers!

View attachment 1612498 two of my hens were attacked by hawks one of them is gone and the other we found with no injuries but blood either coming out of her nose or blood in her beak from something else. We have her inside and she is breathing from her mouth, salivating a lot. She keeps closing Her eyes. She did not complain or show signs of pain when we picked her up. I have no idea what to do and there is not vets near by. Any ideas on what it is or what I should do ☹️☹️

How is she doing?
I would just leave the comb alone.

The blood inside the beak and/or coming from the nostrils and the labored breathing are most concerning. Has the breathing gotten any better?
I too suspect that she would have internal injuries. Feel her gently for anything that feels like swelling or an air fill sac, she may have a ruptured air sac, but hard to know.

Keeping the eyes closed=she's in pain and/or shock. Keep her in a quiet, warm place. See if you can get a little water into her - sugar water or electrolytes would be good, but be mindful if she has a lot of saliva or blood inside her beak you don't want her to aspirate.

Once she is stable, then check her for any wounds that may be hidden under her feathers.

Keep us posted.

View attachment 1612498 two of my hens were attacked by hawks one of them is gone and the other we found with no injuries but blood either coming out of her nose or blood in her beak from something else. We have her inside and she is breathing from her mouth, salivating a lot. She keeps closing Her eyes. She did not complain or show signs of pain when we picked her up. I have no idea what to do and there is not vets near by. Any ideas on what it is or what I should do ☹️☹️
So sad to hear about this. Gentle hug from someone who knows how you feel. Hope everything comes out okay. Let us know if you can.:hugs

Back
Top Bottom