Hen attacked last night. Emergency!

Poor Girl!

She has a nice gash on top of her wing, I'd trim those feathers away from that so it stays cleaner, and you can see it more clearly.
Flush it well with saline, your Vetericyn, etc. For that gash, I'd keep it sprayed with Vetericyn or you can apply triple antibiotic ointment.
I'd make sure to look under her wings, underneath her, her legs, etc. for any injuries or punctures too.

Drinking is good. Once she's hydrated, then offer her normal feed, see if she will eat for you. Bits of egg may help entice her.

You're going to want her healed up before you put her back. These injuries will gain attention of the others and they will pick at her. Hard to see the ones on the back, hopefully those are more superficial and will heal quickly, but the gash is going to take more than a couple of days.

1666668482985.jpeg

Poor Girl!

She has a nice gash on top of her wing, I'd trim those feathers away from that so it stays cleaner, and you can see it more clearly.
Flush it well with saline, your Vetericyn, etc. For that gash, I'd keep it sprayed with Vetericyn or you can apply triple antibiotic ointment.
I'd make sure to look under her wings, underneath her, her legs, etc. for any injuries or punctures too.

Drinking is good. Once she's hydrated, then offer her normal feed, see if she will eat for you. Bits of egg may help entice her.

You're going to want her healed up before you put her back. These injuries will gain attention of the others and they will pick at her. Hard to see the ones on the back, hopefully those are more superficial and will heal quickly, but the gash is going to take more than a couple of days.

View attachment 3301967
Yes, it's deeper there. I've been spraying it and pitting plain neosporin on it. I looked under both wings, under her belly, and even moved feathers around to make sure I didn't miss anything. She's already eating and drinking

Poor Girl!

View attachment 3301967
Another question. Is she OK to stay in the garage? I feel bad that she's alone but I have 6 kids who don't understand what quiet is and that was the only quiet spot for her. She's under a heat lamp for now. How long should I leave that set up?

So she's eating and drinking. Just cleaned her wound again and got the vetericyn and "bandage" changed. I let it air out for about 30 minutes. So far I'm just using a price of guaze from a roll. She's not pecking at it and it's easier to peak under it and spray the Vetericyn. She's also having aolid, normal poops today.

Attachments

• 20221025_102521.jpg
    20221025_102521.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221025_102429.jpg
    20221025_102429.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221025_102359.jpg
    20221025_102359.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 1
Another question. Is she OK to stay in the garage? I feel bad that she's alone but I have 6 kids who don't understand what quiet is and that was the only quiet spot for her. She's under a heat lamp for now. How long should I leave that set up?

So she's eating and drinking. Just cleaned her wound again and got the vetericyn and "bandage" changed. I let it air out for about 30 minutes. So far I'm just using a price of guaze from a roll. She's not pecking at it and it's easier to peak under it and spray the Vetericyn. She's also having aolid, normal poops today.
Is it cold in Texas right now?

She may need to extra heat for a couple of days to help get over shock and to recover more easily, but start weaning her off the heat before too long.
I think she should be fine in the garage for now. Once the wounds heal up a bit more, taking her outside near the others would be a good idea, or even letting some of her friends in the garage to visit can help too. Depends on how you keep your birds.

I'd leave the wounds uncovered unless she starts picking at them. Loose gauze she may eat and usually wounds will close up fine without a covering.

The wing gash looks like the biggest challenge, it will take a bit longer to close. Sounds like you are tending the wounds very well.

Towels, cloth look comfy for her. Those can be hard to clean and keep changing out. She may enjoy a towel to snuggle in, but you may also want to consider puppy pads to line the cage, easy cleanup, just roll them up and dispose of them. I keep puppy pads on hand all the time. They come in handy for various things from raising baby chicks to throwing one under the car to catch drips when we change oil or fluids (works well!) - anywhere you need to catch and absorb liquids.

Is it cold in Texas right now?

She may need to extra heat for a couple of days to help get over shock and to recover more easily, but start weaning her off the heat before too long.
I think she should be fine in the garage for now. Once the wounds heal up a bit more, taking her outside near the others would be a good idea, or even letting some of her friends in the garage to visit can help too. Depends on how you keep your birds.

I'd leave the wounds uncovered unless she starts picking at them. Loose gauze she may eat and usually wounds will close up fine without a covering.

The wing gash looks like the biggest challenge, it will take a bit longer to close. Sounds like you are tending the wounds very well.

Towels, cloth look comfy for her. Those can be hard to clean and keep changing out. She may enjoy a towel to snuggle in, but you may also want to consider puppy pads to line the cage, easy cleanup, just roll them up and dispose of them. I keep puppy pads on hand all the time. They come in handy for various things from raising baby chicks to throwing one under the car to catch drips when we change oil or fluids (works well!) - anywhere you need to catch and absorb liquids.
We get up to the 70s during the day and in the 40s at night. I do have puppy pads. The reason I'm keeping it covered is because flies are absolutely horrible right now. I'm super worried about them laying eggs in the wound.

We get up to the 70s during the day and in the 40s at night. I do have puppy pads. The reason I'm keeping it covered is because flies are absolutely horrible right now. I'm super worried about them laying eggs in the wound.
Maybe wrapping the cage in some mosquito screen or large cheese cloth (depending on the size) or an old see through curtain or something?

You can put a bit of swat gel around the outer edges of the wound to help deter flies.
A fan blowing/circulating air helps too.

Your temps are mild. Likely she does not need the extra heat, so I'd start reducing the heat over the course of several days.

You can put a bit of swat gel around the outer edges of the wound to help deter flies.

Your temps are mild. Likely she does not need the extra heat, so I'd start reducing the heat over the course of several days.
I started reducing the heat today because I noticed her panting a little. She seems to be doing really good. Eating and drinking,pooping normally. I let her wander around the backyard supervised earlier and she ran right up to the run door. She misses her sisters. Would blue Kate help with the flies? I have some of that on hand also. I'll look into the swat gel.

Ok,I went and grabbed some swat gel from tractor supply. It already looks like everything is starting to scab over. I applied that around the wound then put some Vetericyn on it again. I noticed today she has some bruising but nothing too bad. She's eating and drinking great. Very vocal about being locked up.

Back
Top Bottom