I'd trim the feathers away from the wound, clean it well with Chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment. If kept cleaned and tended to a wound usually will heal fine.
Keep her separated so she's not picked on and on clean dry bedding.

Her beak should heal, but she'll be tender for a few days, wet feed to eat for several days.
Do observe to see that she's drinking well.
Hey @Wyorp Rock quick question, the Op posted multiple messages after my intial reply, how come I didn't receive notification? I received notification for other posts. What a conundrum🤔😥

Also, trim her feathers around her wound
I don’t have the topical I was told to use with me at the moment but will take a photo…. Her wound was pretty clean, but I wasn’t sure how to clean with the saline… if should of been everything, under surrounding skin? So I put this topical on it…. If I’m still able to do the cleaning I absolutely will. I check her yesterday and there is one inner side faced areas that was still seemed wet from white blood cells serum like…..

She is eating, drinking, laid her egg, i am trying to keep pee pads underneath her for a sanitary surface and I’m finding her trying to move it to be where I had some clean coop (I think that’s what it is called)….

Let me get the pics, thank you for the encouraging new 🥰. She is a blue laced barnevelder, named Bessie….i only have two of their breed. I’ve discovered I really enjoy their personalities.

On a Sunday in a small town this was the only thing I could find…. I’m trying to use pee pads to keep her area sanitary, but you can see how well that is going…. Underneath the pee pad is some of the coop clean and I’m not sure if she is trying to get to that or not…. And she eats buts makes a mess…. I’m wondering if I should mash it instead.

Attachments

• C226DB76-34F4-4257-9BEB-8D2DFB1B4282.jpeg
    C226DB76-34F4-4257-9BEB-8D2DFB1B4282.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 2
  • A9E8C6E9-044F-442F-8FF9-8F3B8537965D.jpeg
    A9E8C6E9-044F-442F-8FF9-8F3B8537965D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 09946E33-164E-4924-8D9C-938499674D41.jpeg
    09946E33-164E-4924-8D9C-938499674D41.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 2
On a Sunday in a small town this was the only thing I could find…. I’m trying to use pee pads to keep her area sanitary, but you can see how well that is going…. Underneath the pee pad is some of the coop clean and I’m not sure if she is trying to get to that or not…. And she eats buts makes a mess…. I’m wondering if I should mash it instead.
And I have not yet checked the wounds today. As of yesterday they looked surprisingly pretty well, with exception to her leg being swollen and it seemed to feel hotter than the other but I would think that is to be expected…. Flies aren’t bad otherwise I would bring her inside, and I have researched this liquid stuff enough to know if I can continue cleaning the areas or not….. I do have Neosporin as suggested… do I try placing it on top?

I live in a ranching community so you would think my options would be great….

@BauerWFarm the wound being covered with the white blood cells is a good sign.

Do you have a local pharmacy? If you do, look for saline in the eye section, eye contact solution. It should be just saline, no thimerosal or anything additional. You can also make saline, it's just salt and water. Just don't use iodized salt.

The leg being hot is worrisome, clean it today and slather it with Neosporin, and any other wounds after cleaning them. The saline will get all over the place when it drips, focus on getting the wound clean and then dry her off afterwards.

Can you get any kind of antibiotic? Aqua mox or something like that? Does your feed store have any antibiotics?

What are you feeding her?

You don't need to use blu kote, that's more so the others don't peck at her. Can you get bacitryn at the feed store?

@Wyorp Rock anything I missed?

Hey @Wyorp Rock quick question, the Op posted multiple messages after my intial reply, how come I didn't receive notification? I received notification for other posts. What a conundrum🤔

Do you have a local pharmacy? If you do, look for saline in the eye section, eye contact solution. It should be just saline, no thimerosal or anything additional. You can also make saline, it's just salt and water. Just don't use iodized salt.

The leg being hot is worrisome, clean it today and slather it with Neosporin, and any other wounds after cleaning them. The saline will get all over the place when it drips, focus on getting the wound clean and then dry her off afterwards.

Can you get any kind of antibiotic? Aqua mox or something like that? Does your feed store have any antibiotics?

You don't need to use blu kote, that's more so the others don't peck at her. Can you get bacitryn at the feed store?

Do I need a vet for aqua mox?? If

Do I need a vet for aqua mox?? If
Oops I meant I have a family friend that is a vet but not avian…. However he could write a script if that’s needed.. yes I have access to pharmacy and I’m curious why they gave me the blu kote. Doesn’t matter, I have Neosporin and get more….

She is getting a combo of laying feed and scratch… I can share photos of the bags

Back
Top Bottom