Hen attacks

DWH

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 26, 2009
Um, my hen is attacking the new (drive all the way to Columbia SC if you want them) dibs and I know know ho to make her stop.
hmm.png

I'm so sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying. What exactly is your hen attacking?

Whatever it is, if she's trying to kill it, separate her from it. Put her in the coop, or a cage, or something.

And then get back to us with more detailed info so someone can help you.

Get the agressive one away and put her in a dog crate or seperate area for a few days, let the new ones calm down and find their way around the coop. When you put the agressive one back in, she'll be less the 'top hen'... but will still need watching.

Let them try some more, if need be repeat the process. SOME pecking is inevitable...
hmm.png

I just want to clear this up for some people, Dibs is the term my family uses for chicks, and thanks for helping to everybody.

Ahhh, it's difficult, (nearly impossible) to safely combine them if the new ones aren't very close to the same size as the older ones. At least as close as possible, and certainly fully feathered without any 'dib' fluff left.
wink.png

As has been said, pull out the meanest older girls and isolate them for a few days so the youngsters can get used to things. They'll still be at a disadvantage, but it'll help.

What if their Silkies which don't lose dib fluff?

Quote:
LOL, ok you got me there, just so long as they are acting more like chickens and less like dibs then I guess. Clucking not peeping
and fairly good sized. I can't really say for sure... You've already started integrating them, so go on from there I guess!
hmm.png
If pulling out the most agressive full grown hen (or two) doesn't help, take the youngsters back out for a bit is all I can say.

Back
Top Bottom