Hen babysitting broodys eggs?

I also have this issue. For the past two weeks I’ve only seen my buff Orpington sitting on two different nests that have a mixture of three different breeds of eggs. She’s just been going between both nesting boxes taking turns sitting and keeping both nests warm. One has 9 eggs and the other 14. The other day I noticed my buff mama jumped out to eat and what not and while she was out one of my aericaunas sitting on one of the nests. And when I tried to move her to check the eggs she freaked out on me. So I have a couple questions since this is my first time hatching eggs. I feel like it’s about time to move the eggs. I wanted to make a nest in a big tote on the floor of my coop so when they hatch mama could take care of them in her own space that isn’t raised so high off the floor like the box she’s in now. Should I make two totes then for both hens? I really don’t know what to do. This is all new to me. For the record, none of my hens are aggressive I just want the mama and chicks to have privacy and be safe from falling. Please help me with any advice.
Baby chicks have only the need to eat, drink and keep warm. A broody hen, on the other hand, has daily needs that require freedom of movement: pooping, dirt bathing, maintaining her connection to the flock, along with eating and drinking and replenishing grit in her gizzard. Installing her in a plastic tote will deprive her of the ability to satisfy these basic needs.

Why don't you start a thread and we can help you explore alternatives.

Baby chicks have only the need to eat, drink and keep warm. A broody hen, on the other hand, has daily needs that require freedom of movement: pooping, dirt bathing, maintaining her connection to the flock, along with eating and drinking and replenishing grit in her gizzard. Installing her in a plastic tote will deprive her of the ability to satisfy these basic needs.

Why don't you start a thread and we can help you explore alternatives.
I didn’t mean I was going to install her in a tote away from the flock and keep her from her daily needs with a lid. I truly hope you don’t think that’s what I was trying to do lol. That sounds really inhumane! anyways, Since my post I actually decided to move one of my dog kennels into the coop for the buff and her eggs. Btw, there are 23 eggs😳😓 I’m placing the kennel underneath the nesting boxes that are installed on the wall. It’s a big kennel with the black bars all around it and the plastic tray on the floor. Inside will be plenty of room for a new nesting box, food and water for mama and the babies once they hatch My only concern now is what will my aericauna hen that randomly sits on the nest while the main broody buff is up doing her daily duties think. There are a few green eggs on the nest so I know some are hers but she doesn’t always sit on them. She roosts up in the rafters like she always has so she doesn’t sleep on them, the buff mama does. Do you think she’s just like “babysitting” while the buff is moving around?

Back
Top Bottom