Hen badly injured

Pics
I’ve read some other posts on here that honey helps with keeping wounds moist. I need to cut off all the feathers surrounding her neck wound. And after cleaning put ointment and put honey on top of that. Or should I mix the ointment and honey to make a salve to put on her wounds?

Today, Rebel ate some eggs and she refused to take her amoxicillin. She’s getting super skinny. What advice do y’all have to get her appetite going again?
I would trim the feathers away from the wound.
Have you washed/flushed the surrounding tissue and feathers? That may be holding some of the smell too.
After flushing out the wounds again, re-apply your ointment. Honey that is used on wounds is Raw Organic or Manuku. I would continue doing what you're doing, but you may need to be a bit more aggressive.

She's refusing to take her pill? How do you give it?
Vitamin B can be an appetite stimulant. You can also try to entice her with wet feed, eggs, a little tuna, fruit, etc.

Is she pooping o.k.? What does that look like?

Have you washed/flushed the surrounding tissue and feathers? That may be holding some of the smell too.
After flushing out the wounds again, re-apply your ointment. Honey that is used on wounds is Raw Organic or Manuku. I would continue doing what you're doing, but you may need to be a bit more aggressive.

Vitamin B can be an appetite stimulant. You can also try to entice her with wet feed, eggs, a little tuna, fruit, etc.

Hi, I ended up putting honey before I put her to bed last night. Cleaned her this morning and she had no smell. I put ointment on it and even took her outside for some fresh air. Sat her on the porch and let her hang out while I cleaned the yard and fixed the coop (wood is coming loose)

I went to dollar tree and got a bottle of vitamin b12 and complex. Wasn’t sure which one to get so I bought both. I grated a pill in some mashed egg and she ate half of it. A lot more than she has ever ate since the attack.

Yesterday was the 7th day for antibiotics for her. So today I am doing without amoxicillin for my girl. I was able to clear her eye from all the pus and hard abcess that was in her eye today, as well. 😀 Now we can see her eye.

My other chickens wounds are healed but has some green-gritty looking stuff around her wounds.

Her poop is kinda watery but solid at the same time. I thought it was normal since she has had some antibiotics in her.

Have you tried Vetercyn wound spray. It is great stuff. Doesn't smell, stain or sting. Would use that before the neosporin to help kill infection.

I can’t get vetercyn or hibleclens yet.
I’m in between paychecks.
So I have cleaned her with poultry spray, wiped off dirt and feathers and slathered on ointment like everyone told me to do. Lol
Everyone’s advice has been helping tremendously.

Back
Top Bottom