Hen Behaviour

kaz101

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
I have 1x golden Hamburg and 1x silkies chickens and they are driving me mad...they are both around the same age and started laying around 2 months ago. I made a large coop with enclosed nesting boxes with false eggs in them. The problem I am having is the Golden hamburg started laying inside my mop bucket which is kept on the back patio. I was getting an egg a day however now she stays in the bucket all day and night and is not laying. My white Silky started laying in the nesting box and now she is also doing the same thing. They are fed a mixture of pellets and grains plus vegie scraps from the kitchen. I brought another younger Silky and was told it was also a hen however it looks as though it is a male. (it hasn't started crowing yet) Could this be the problem with the hens? I have owned chickens before but they never displayed this behavior before. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on with theses chickens? They have free range of the back yard and are able to come and go as they please.

Sounds like broodiness to me. They want to settle down and hatch chicks! Even if you don't have a rooster they will do this. Silkies are EXTREMELY broody.

Back
Top Bottom