Hen being aggressive towards me..

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.
I just had a pecking war with her. She stayed and pecked as much as she could at me and i "pecked" back relentlessly (not hard enough to hurt her). She eventually backed off and walked away. I was left unbothered the rest of the time. Hopefully this worked!!

I just had a pecking war with her. She stayed and pecked as much as she could at me and i "pecked" back relentlessly (not hard enough to hurt her). She eventually backed off and walked away. I was left unbothered the rest of the time. Hopefully this worked!!
You may have to repeat it.

@Sclark0012
HI! How are things going with your aggressive hen? I'm looking for tips/tricks to try on my hen. The only problem is my little itch is a Serama and I don't want to hurt her. She does exactly like you've mentioned with your bird. Whenever I peck back at my hen, it makes her even more aggressive and I think she'll go on forever. I'm lucky that she's so tiny, but at the same time, it's really difficult to correct a tiny bird. Her legs look like they're an inch long so I don't know of any other things to try whenever she bites. Ignoring her like I would advise many people with a puppy, doesn't work, "pecking" back seems to make her even worse. Her comb and wattles are so tiny that I can't get ahold of them quickly enough. Maybe repetitively pecking back as long as she'll go will work, but she's a stubborn thing and makes me think she'll go on for quite a while.

@Sclark0012
HI! How are things going with your aggressive hen? I'm looking for tips/tricks to try on my hen. The only problem is my little itch is a Serama and I don't want to hurt her. She does exactly like you've mentioned with your bird. Whenever I peck back at my hen, it makes her even more aggressive and I think she'll go on forever. I'm lucky that she's so tiny, but at the same time, it's really difficult to correct a tiny bird. Her legs look like they're an inch long so I don't know of any other things to try whenever she bites. Ignoring her like I would advise many people with a puppy, doesn't work, "pecking" back seems to make her even worse. Her comb and wattles are so tiny that I can't get ahold of them quickly enough. Maybe repetitively pecking back as long as she'll go will work, but she's a stubborn thing and makes me think she'll go on for quite a while.
My hen no longer comes after me. I had a full out pecking war with her that lasted about 3 days every time I went out there. I legit pecked her wherever i could peck as she was attacking me. I'm not sure how to handle a little hen like yours. I would just peck her wherever you get to. I tried carrying her around and she bit me all over my hands, so that didnt work. Only the pecking. I noticed when i "shoved" her back she chilled out quicker that way along with the pecking. I just pushed her away from me when she came at me. *No hens were hurt*. I was gentle, but the action seemed to show her that I was strong and not to mess with me since i could push her backwards. Wear gloves and a jacket Lol those pecks and bites hurt!

@Sclark0012
I forgot to mention, that yes, she will get more aggressive as you peck her. You have to peck her until she backs down, or she thinks she "won" the pecking, and she is not above you. Dont let up until she backs down and walks away from you.

I forgot to mention, that yes, she will get more aggressive as you peck her. You have to peck her until she backs down, or she thinks she "won" the pecking, and she is not above you. Dont let up until she backs down and walks away from you.
It's the craziest situation with her. Since she's an adorable little Serama, I've spent A LOT of time with her. She's a year and a half old now. She knows her name and can be a sweetheart. If I hold my arm a certain way and call her name, she'll fly up to my arm on command. If she feels scared or threatened in any way, she comes running to me and will fly up to land on top of my head for me to save her. It definitely seems like she wants to be above me in the pecking order though. That makes perfect sense because she is at the very bottom of the pecking order with all of my flocks free ranging together and in her flock. Of course she wants to move up. Until recently, she didn't bite my daughter (10 year old) but she attacks both of our feet (she grabs our pants, socks, whatever she can reach and attempts to flog like a rooster). Recently she was really mad since I wouldn't engage with her biting/pecking match so she decided she'd try it with my daughter. She seemed so proud of herself. She will actually fly up to my arm for treats and then start to bite and sometimes even flog my hand in between treats. She growls like a dog. So tomorrow I will continue her pecking match as long as she'll do it. I'm guessing I should make her stay on the ground/floor for this so she's able to get away if/when she decides she's had enough and I certainly don't want her to fall. She can be so sweet and Serama's are just adorable, so I hate for her to be so aggressive. Plus I really worry that she'll get hurt being up under our feet. That, along with possibly hurting her during a pecking match scares me. Her head is no bigger than my thumb 😔 I'm going to try this though. I really appreciate your reply and plan to try your tips and tricks💜 Thank you so much

Last edited:
It's the craziest situation with her. Since she's an adorable little Serama, I've spent A LOT of time with her. She's a year and a half old now. She knows her name and if I hold my arm a certain way and call her name, she'll fly up to my arm. If she feels scared or threatened in any way, she comes running to me and will fly up to land on top of my head for me to save her. It definitely seems like she wants to be above me in the pecking order though. That makes perfect sense because she is at the very bottom of the pecking order with all of my flocks free ranging together and in her flock. Of course she wants to move up. Until recently, she didn't bite my daughter (10 year old) but she attacks both of our feet (she grabs our pants, socks, whatever she can reach and attempts to flog like a rooster). Recently she was really mad since I wouldn't engage with her biting/pecking match so she decided she'd try it with my daughter. She seemed so proud of herself. She will actually fly up to my arm for treats and then start to bite and sometimes even flog my hand in between treats. She growls like a dog. So tomorrow I will continue her pecking match as long as she'll do it. I'm guessing I should make her stay on the ground/floor for this so she's able to get away if/when she decides she's had enough and I certainly don't want her to fall. She can be so sweet and Serama's are just adorable, so I hate for her to be so aggressive. Plus I really worry that she'll get hurt being up under our feet. That, along with possibly hurting her during a pecking match scares me. Her head is no bigger than my thumb 😔 I'm going to try this though. I really appreciate your reply and plan to try your tips and tricks💜 Thank you so much
I understand! I hope all goes well!! Just be gentle as much as you can. I always squatted down so I was ground level with my girl. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom