Hen being attacked help

Annaafranqueza

Songster
Jun 30, 2019
Help! This is my only chicken with a weird comb like this. For some reason one of them attacked her the other day. It was a little cut that i out vet spray on. Today i could not find her and found blood everywhere. Finally found her hiding behind the coop. She was covered in blood and her comb/face area were pecked. I put more of the spray on her to heal it and isolated her in a run I can block off for sick chickens. Gave her fresh food and water. Is she always going to be pecked at for her comb? Or will she be fine once she is healed and the blood is gone. Anything to do in the meantime?
4939B8B8-0278-4052-8903-DC23E5C24E7E.jpeg

Help! This is my only chicken with a weird comb like this. For some reason one of them attacked her the other day. It was a little cut that i out vet spray on. Today i could not find her and found blood everywhere. Finally found her hiding behind the coop. She was covered in blood and her comb/face area were pecked. I put more of the spray on her to heal it and isolated her in a run I can block off for sick chickens. Gave her fresh food and water. Is she always going to be pecked at for her comb? Or will she be fine once she is healed and the blood is gone. Anything to do in the meantime?
View attachment 2235366
I don’t think it’s her comb. @azygous @Wyorp Rock?

View attachment 2235366
Have you thought of re-homing her?

The comb is a handy target, and its floppiness probably figures into the equation to a minor degree. You will need to observe her behavior in the flock and how the others relate to her to be sure, but it may be she's inviting bullying due to her own behavior.

Read this and you will have a better understanding how flock dynamics can work when there's a chicken on the timid side that can't stand up for herself. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

That said, some combs can entice other chickens to molest them and may require partial dubbing to mitigate the problem. I had this issue in my flock many years ago when I was raising my second batch of chicks.

One was a SLW named Alice. Wyandottes have a bicycle helmet shaped comb, and Alice had one that had a radical tail shooting off the back of her head. Not only was Alice a runt and on the timid side, but her comb presented a perfect target for the others to grab. Twice she had it torn off her scalp and hanging by a thread.

Do a bit more observing to see how this hen relates to the others and if she's standing her ground. If not, she may need some help.

It was a testimonial to how quickly combs heal as it reattached each time I stuck it back into place on her noggin and quickly healed. But after the second time, I decided to cut away the part that stuck out in back, and she had no more comb injuries after that.

Back
Top Bottom