Hen being very vocal and aggressive, completely out of character

edgy6ellie

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2021
One of my hens, Pootle has recently started being extremely aggressive and vocal. shes a 2yro ex-batt, ive had her for over a year and she is normally the most friendly cuddly chicken in my flock. this last week or so she has been attacking my other hens alot more than normal, being a very vocal and this evening she attacked me pretty badly. absolutely nothing has changed is their day to day life, she is already the top hen. is there any reason as to why shes doing this? or any way i can stop her from being so aggressive?

What do you mean attacked you? Pecking at your hand when giving treats, collecting eggs or ?

Is she laying eggs?
She was flying up and kicking me in the stomach with alot of force, it was in the late afternoon just randomly, i didnt have any treats or eggs on me.

she isnt laying currently

Okay, good! I've seen this hyper-active behavior prior to onset of laying. The most common symptom is loud vocalizing.

It can manifest also in extreme skitishness. I had one hen that would explode in flightiness if I accidentally cornered her. She is now laying and has calmed down so much, I barely recognize her.

Your hen flying up and kicking you, was probably a burst of skittishness, nervousness. She should calm down a lot once she begins laying.

Back
Top Bottom