Hen Belly hard and she is laying down!!!!

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I’ve noticed yesterday my one PR was laying down in the dirt but I thought it was normal because lately the flock has been laying down or dust batheing. This morning was different though, as I do the morning routine they all usually start getting up but my one PR just stayed on the roost. Her belly was hard compared to my other PR. I’m going to see how she is during the day but she has been eating and drinking and yesterday morning she got up so idk what it could be. I’m not sure if she’s been laying any eggs as I’ve only been getting 3 or 4 out of the 6 hens. I’m thinking maybe soak her in an epson salt bath for a little bit and see if that helps.

Is she walking with a wide leg stance or is her tail position down? Pictures are helpful. Is her crop full? Is is firm or puffy? Can you check it in the early morning to see if it is emptying overnight, before eating? Internal laying or salpingitis, and cancer are 3 things that may cause the lower belly to be hard. Fluid in the belly can cause an enlarged lower belly.

Is she walking with a wide leg stance or is her tail position down? Pictures are helpful. Is her crop full? Is is firm or puffy? Can you check it in the early morning to see if it is emptying overnight, before eating? Internal laying or salpingitis, and cancer are 3 things that may cause the lower belly to be hard. Fluid in the belly can cause an enlarged lower belly.
She was walking normal. I can get pictures tonight when she starts heading to bed. I’ll check her crop. I think it was empty this morning. Her belly has always had more of a tense feeling to it. This isn’t the first time I’ve noticed her belly. But I don’t know. I will check her tonight though.

Back
Top Bottom