Hen bit by dog

caitlinvw

Hatching
Jun 9, 2022
Good morning, I know there are a ton of these threads (I’ve read most at this point lol), but my hen was bit last night and I have a bit more of a specific question. Just as some history, she was punctured on her lower back by a dog. She wasn’t ever bleeding horribly and at first it was hard to even identify where the injury was. We separated her from the flock last night and applied MicrocynAH. She is still pretty lethargic and in shock this morning. We are planning to re-apply Microcyn nightly. I haven’t seen her eat or drink water, but she has moved slightly around the pen since we brought her in so I think she may be eating and drinking a little. Her poop is watery and pale yellow. It has been just over 12 hours which seems too soon for the possibility of infection, but I wanted to know if this is something I should be concerned about. Or is it just a sign of lethargy and healing? Also, I can’t figure out what the green dot is. It was there almost immediately after she was injured. It looks a little like a grass seed, but I don’t want to mess with it too much to get it out and hurt her. It wouldn’t just wipe away.

Attachments

• E830CE15-F256-47BD-834A-3250B6955FB1.jpeg
    E830CE15-F256-47BD-834A-3250B6955FB1.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 12
  • F3455E84-01BC-441B-9AAD-6B23B29569EF.jpeg
    F3455E84-01BC-441B-9AAD-6B23B29569EF.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 2
I don't see the green dot, but chicken tissue bruises show up as green.

You need to treat for shock first and foremost as it can kill. Give electrolytes and sugar in her water and be sure she drinks. The wound needs an oral antibotic.

You need to treat for shock first and foremost as it can kill. Give electrolytes and sugar in her water and be sure she drinks. The wound needs an oral antibotic.
I sat with her and made sure she got some water with electrolytes. Talked to my vet about some oral antibiotics just now as well.

I ended up getting her antibiotics. she isn’t really holding down liquids. I moved her to clean out the crate and she spit up all the water she drank and possibly the antibiotics. She is extremely lethargic. Is this typical in the beginning of healing? She also has not eaten at all

Did you give her sugar in her water? Elevating her glucose can make a huge difference. That can give her energy to want to drink and eat. If she doesn't, you may need to tube feed her. You can get a kit from your vet. They can also show you how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom