Hen Bleeding from Vent

TheMommaHen13

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Looked for info on bleeding vent on here, but everything I saw was on possible prolapse. Our hen is not sexually mature yet, only 3 months, so that makes a bleeding vent even more peculiar. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Barred Rock, 3 months, not sure of weight but healthy size
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Bright red blood from her vent, the area feels hard
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just noticed today
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Feed, scratch, fruit and veggie scraps
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not sure, our flock free-ranges, but we have noticed some runny, watery poop from somebody
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Intend to treat ourselves, if possible
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Will try to get one.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Live in coop, free-range during day, bedding is pine shavings.

Is the bleeding coming from inside or just very close to the vent? If its coming from the inside out- perhaps she has some kind of internal bleeding? If its just coming from close to the vent maybe someone is picking at her or she got caught up in something? Good luck- I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to share some wisdom shortly.

Cleaned her off and unfortunately it looks like a snake or something got her underneath. I can't stop the bleeding. I'm thinking I'm gonna lose her unless anyone has any great ideas on how to staunch it. Flour, styptic, pressure, nothing's working...

Just found some corn starch. Think it'll work? The puncture wound is right in the soft underbelly between her legs. Every time she moves her leg, it oozes out pretty fast. I'll try it!

I wonder if it's a vampire bat? Their bite has an anticoagulant in it, so the bat can drink the blood more easily, and of course the wound would bleed freely. If it is, she should recover, I would think. A poisonous snake bite would cause a lot of local swelling. Corn starch or flour should be a good emergency treatment for the bleeding.

I sure hope this turns out well. Let us know.

Sorry for the delay in responding. We finally got it to stop bleeding! Thanks for your help. I finally tried a little bit of everything and something seemed to work, but now sure what. If you want details, I did a blog post about it, which you can find here. http://themommahen.com/chicken-md (I promise it's a personal blog,no spam here.) I would just paste the post, but don't want to make it too long. Thanks everybody!! Hope I can return the favor someday.

Now we have a new issue with the same hen, believe it or not. This morning her toes on one leg were all curled under. Is it possible the two incidents are related?? At any rate, we're going to try Poly Vi Sol drops today and see if that helps. Any other thoughts appreciated. Also, sidenote -- her comb last week when she was bleeding was very pale. Today it is dark red. What, if anything, does this signify? Thanks all!
Larisa

Back
Top Bottom