Hen bloated, weak, stands straddled....

markman

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Magpie, my 2 year old Rhode Island Red hen may be sick. She has thick dried feces caked on the feathers below her vent, her abdomen is very bloated, and she stands feebly with her butt and legs in a droopy position. Her throat and nose is clear and normal looking.

I had three hens, but one died a few weeks ago of similar conditions. Magpie was always a light active bird, but now is huge and I think less than 24 hours from death.

This AM i gave her some tetracycline on wet bread and she readily ate it. I have added vitimins and electrolytes to her water.

Any other suggestions?

thanks, Markman

You probably aren't going to like it, but put on a rubber/latex glove, lube it up really well with vaseline or K-Y & stick your finger up in there to see if you can feel an egg or some shell in there. She could be egg-bound.
Do you worm her?

Sounds like internal laying or egg peritonitis. Possibly egg bound. The swelling sounds like ascites, or infected fluid in the abdomen. You can type in the search box for more info. Speckled hen has experience with this, I really haven't had to deal with it yet. (knock on wood). If egg bound, a warm bath and massaging the belly may help her relax and get the egg moving. sorry I am not more helpful. Keep up the antibiotics, it might help. Hopefully some folks with more experince will come along with more suggestions. Good luck.

Tried the warm bath for 20 minutes, no help. Used latex glove and lube, could not feel any eggs at all. Is is possible she ate some rat poison? That's the only thing I can think of.

Sadly, I had to shoot magpie to put her out of her misery. The fluid that she had in her abdomen was perhaps one of the grossest smells I have ever smelled, and it came out all at once.

The vet wanted $500+ to see her with minimal tests. Can't afford that.

Quote:
You did the right thing. I think you would have paid the vet and still had a dead hen. really sorry, that's really horrible.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom