1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Breeds

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hhill, Feb 15, 2014.

1. hhill

hhill Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    I am going to get some hens soon, but I don't know what type. I would like some golden brownish ones, but I don't know any. Can you help?[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You should first choose the breed based on your climate. That will minimize management/health issues.
    Then think about your needs/wants. i.e. egg size/color/quantity, bird size, temperament, broodiness, housing, etc..
    When you come up with that list. Then choose the color you want from the short list.
    Color is variety, shape and other characteristics is breed. Many breeds come in your favorite color.
    You might start here
    http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf
    http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  4. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Golden brownish ones...hmmm...how broad! [​IMG] Maybe try Buff Orpingtons, Buff Rocks, ISA Brown, Red Star, or something along those lines might be something you're looking for. Look up pictures to see which ones you like. Hope I helped!

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Looks like the others have left you with some good links. Good luck getting your new birds and enjoy BYC!

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you onboard with us [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. [​IMG]

There are 1 breed that I own that you could call golden brown.
    This is called a Buff Orpington:
    [​IMG]

9. Welcome to BYC from Riverside California! [​IMG]

10. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    That was good advice on choosing birds based on your climate.....thank goodness I got cold hardy birds this year! You also need to decide what you want your birds for and decide what kind of temperament you want. For pets you want a docile but if you are free ranging you want flighty more alert breeds. Check out the "breeds" tab and go through the list. There are so many types to choose from it may take you awhile!!!! Personally I am glad I got an assortment to start with, now I have a better idea of what I want. I never would have chosen the Buff Orpington on my own and received one in my first assortment....I adore her!!!
    [​IMG]

Plus an assortment makes for a colorful and fun flock!!!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by