HEN BROKE EGG INSIDE IF HER PLEASE HELP!!!

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
I just moved my six week old oilers to the coop yesterday so I went Yo their side of the coop to check on them. On my way out I noticed my main hen and favorite girl who’s 3 years old sitting in a log and drooping. I was at attention immediately and thought one of the yellow jackets surrounding her vent had stung her. I picked her up and found that two soft egg shells of an abnormal shape were hanging out of her. I also found Two yolk stains on top of the hens waterer. I ran inside and called her vet who said she couldn’t do things that require so much experience. We have another poultry vet but she’s a 24/7 vet who charged us 600 dollars for an unnecessary x ray for a hen who didn’t make it out. What should I do to help my hen? I could never risk losing her as she is part of the family. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

I just moved my six week old oilers to the coop yesterday so I went Yo their side of the coop to check on them. On my way out I noticed my main hen and favorite girl who’s 3 years old sitting in a log and drooping. I was at attention immediately and thought one of the yellow jackets surrounding her vent had stung her. I picked her up and found that two soft egg shells of an abnormal shape were hanging out of her. I also found Two yolk stains on top of the hens waterer. I ran inside and called her vet who said she couldn’t do things that require so much experience. We have another poultry vet but she’s a 24/7 vet who charged us 600 dollars for an unnecessary x ray for a hen who didn’t make it out. What should I do to help my hen? I could never risk losing her as she is part of the family. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! we have 33 views on here but no one is helping yet. this is such an emergency. i dont know what to do

Call the vet that will see her and ask them about giving fluids, antibiotics, calcium, and meloxicam.
Don’t worry we did, turns out the egg had been stuck/crushed for a while and the yolk hardened. She’s trying to flush it out, and we are giving antibiotics plus pain killer. She also developed a small amount of pneumonia

In situations like this, a lot of us have no knowledge of what to do besides call a vet. Vets often need to do xrays to rule out or confirm a diagnosis, you probably didn't end up paying for a useless scan, just one that ruled out what the vet thought was wrong, if it makes you feel any better about your last bill. :confused: Im sorry you lost your last hen, but I'm glad you ended up calling the vet anyway for this one. You seem very attached to your ladies and it sounds like she would have been a goner without intervention! Good luck with your girl! I hope she pulls through for you! :hugs

In situations like this, a lot of us have no knowledge of what to do besides call a vet. Vets often need to do xrays to rule out or confirm a diagnosis, you probably didn't end up paying for a useless scan, just one that ruled out what the vet thought was wrong, if it makes you feel any better about your last bill. :confused: Im sorry you lost your last hen, but I'm glad you ended up calling the vet anyway for this one. You seem very attached to your ladies and it sounds like she would have been a goner without intervention! Good luck with your girl! I hope she pulls through for you! :hugs
Thanks, and sorry about ranting about x-rays! I was just angry because the only vet that would take us was the expensive one. We all knew she wouldn’t make it after that, and it’s a good thing we took the x-ray since we al, thought she was eggbound. She wasn’t, and if we hadn’t taken the x-ray we would have kept treating her like she was until a painful death. The hen I’m working with now is doing a tremendous job although I can’t tell what’s the painkiller and what’s antibiotics kicking in. However it takes 3 people to give her her meds because she is a fighter! One to hold the wings, one to pry open her beak and I syringe the meds. She is doing well and she pooped 5 times all with yolk being flushed out which is great. No egg shells though and when we reavaluate at the vets we’ll figure out what to do.

Don't take me the wrong way, I'm going to guess that every single one of us that has a long history of owning animals has felt like a vet has ripped us off or charged us for an unnecessary service at some point! ;) Even with the extremely good vets, everyone can feel a bit bitter about having to pay a ridiculous amount for services that in the end prove futile. I had a cat go through a lawnmower once,cracked a rib, took all the skin off his belly, busted his tail and skinned it. Instead of removing the tail, which would have made life so much easier, the vet insisted he could heal his tail... Skin graphs, majorly expensive medications and several visits later he had to be put down due to infection. Let me tell you, after almost $4000. Long story short, I was bitter. Very, very bitter. I was just hoping to make you feel a bit better about your experience, not reprimand you for seeing it as a useless bill :)

I'm very glad this girl has some spunk and fire! If you could get a towel around her and wrap her snuggly like a burrito, she might not get as stressed and flighty on you

Don't take me the wrong way, I'm going to guess that every single one of us that has a long history of owning animals has felt like a vet has ripped us off or charged us for an unnecessary service at some point! ;) Even with the extremely good vets, everyone can feel a bit bitter about having to pay a ridiculous amount for services that in the end prove futile. I had a cat go through a lawnmower once,cracked a rib, took all the skin off his belly, busted his tail and skinned it. Instead of removing the tail, which would have made life so much easier, the vet insisted he could heal his tail... Skin graphs, majorly expensive medications and several visits later he had to be put down due to infection. Let me tell you, after almost $4000. Long story short, I was bitter. Very, very bitter. I was just hoping to make you feel a bit better about your experience, not reprimand you for seeing it as a useless bill :)

I'm very glad this girl has some spunk and fire! If you could get a towel around her and wrap her snuggly like a burrito, she might not get as stressed and flighty on you
I’m so sorry about your cat! I agree sometimes we know what’s best for our pets no matter what the vets say. I had a hen who was paralyzed do to a hawk attack, however she was perfectly fine and had no illness, infection or anything. She just couldnt walk. It was frustrating when the vet convinced us to put her down and I regret listening to them. I’ll try wrapping her in a towel and see if it works- it does with cats!

Back
Top Bottom