Hen buried eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozark hen, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    My hen was sitting on a bunch of eggs so we moved her inside a brooder inside the coop. The floor of the brooder is deep in shavings. She hatched four chicks last Thurs. and got off the nest and buried the eggs. Now this brooder is about 4 feet long by 2 1/2 feet wide. All enclosed in chicken wire so the flock can see/hear any new additions. So yesterday I go in there and find two eggs partially buried...they were ice cold eggs. I tossed them...I mean TOSSED THEM OUT. Tossed them out into the cold rain. When I left the coop I went and looked at the eggs. [​IMG] Both had broken open of course and one had a dead cold chick in it, not quite finished developing. The other chick was cheeping [​IMG] I ran it into the house, gave it a very warm bath and blew dry it. I then put it into a brooder box in the house with a lamp for heat. IT SURVIVED ME!!! I brought the other chicks and mama into the house and they are all in the brooder box with the survivor. Now I go into the coop to clean out the brooder box out there.........shovel finds eggs, shovel cracked open an egg....ANOTHER LIVE CHICK. Now ice cold but it and the other eggs are now in the incubator to see if they can be saved. I never heard of such a thing. I thought once the eggs were cold they were lost?? This last chick still hasn't come out of the shell yet but is cheeping some. This has been a very weird experience! Also a lesson learned! [​IMG]

2. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

THAT is VERY Interesting! GOOD to KNOW!

THANK YOU for posting this experience. I have filed it in my aging memory for future reference.

GOOD Luck with the "orphans" !!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wild story! Gee, Carrie, I'd have thought they were dead, too. Wow.

4. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    wow...good to know! Makes me think of that saying: "..nobody is dead unless they are warm and dead..." lol

5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Well, the last chick(egg I broke with the shovel) was getting weaker and membrane was drying out. I hatched it out and put it back into the incubator for drying...........It is doing fine!! After being buried in shavings for four days and egg and chick being very cold...it is alive and seems to be doing well. It is very fast! LOL I opened the 'bator to put down some soft paper toweling and it shot across the 'bator. It is cheeping very loudly now and fast as lightening. LOL I am leaving it in the 'bator until morning at least. I am just totally amazed at this whole event. What happened to eggs needing to be kept at a certain temp and humidity level??? [​IMG] Although it is one I will not "test" this is a good lesson for all of us. Just boggles my mind! Here is a pic of the last one. First pic is the egg that I damaged shoveling up the litter.

[​IMG]
    this pic is the actual chick I hatched from that damaged egg.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  6. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    just checked on the little one and it doing great so far! I think it is going to make it, now hopefully it will be a pullet. [​IMG]

7. ChurpyChicken

ChurpyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Buxton/Leek
    How amazing!

8. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Wow! That is truly awe-inspiring. Please keep us informed as to the little one's progress.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  9. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Amazing little creatures. Maybe they didn't hatch in time so the hen thought they were bad and she burried them. I have had them hatch a day or two late. Usually when the majority hatch she thinks they are done.

10. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

she is really a bad mom, you should keep an eye to her whenever she sit so you can make sure no egg being neglected by her, you don't want she to kill your chicks.

good luck with the remaining eggs, hope the hatched better soon. godspeed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by