Hen buried eggs!

This reminds me of my recent chick that hatched with at hen. I started out with 3 eggs and she ended up with one. I found it cold and her sitting out somewhere else. I knew it was due to hatch the next day, and just thought it was a goner, so I picked it up and shook it a little, then put it to my ear and hear a very loud peep! Peep! Scared the bejeebes out of me. I put her in a little rabbit cage with her egg and it hatched right on time the next day.
Congrats on you wonderful find.

Well this little one who was buried for four days ....I go in and talk to it or look in there and it runs for it's life!
lau.gif
I think it must think I still have the shovel?
gig.gif
I am going to put it inside a brooder box in the house like I did with the one I THREW outside so it will have company before putting it with the mama hen tonight or tomorrow.

Well here is an update on the eggs that were 'thrown away" and damaged with a shovel...Here they all are with mom, all healthy little girls...I hope LOL
1280_dsc04626.jpg

1280_dsc04622.jpg

Oh they are soooo cute! Glad you posted this story... our broody BO is still sitting on her eggs, 7 have hatched and are doing great with momma... there is still 4 eggs left to hatch, yesterday was day 21... how long should I leave them under her? I was thinking as long as shes still sitting on them then maybe shes knows they are going to hatch?

Quote:
I would honestly wait another four or five days. My hens would lay eggs in with this mama hen so they all hatched at different days. She left the next on her own, buried the rest so I assumed (wrongly)that they were not viable eggs. After four days of sitting in the cold..the eggs were cold...the chicks were cold when they actually hatched. Like I said above, I did have to hatch one myself since I had crushed it with the shovel. The other I threw outside and it broke open revealing a live but very cold chick. God has His own way of doing things.
wink.png

I fixed it so mama and the six babies have the run and the small room in the back of the coop all to theirselves. Now the rest of the flock has the main room and their own entrance and they free range. I will do this for awhile till mama is comfortable with her babies being with the main flock.
The rest of the flock gather all around the fenced in run to look at the babies. Kinda like they are at a zoo. LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom