Hen can’t walk

hannah green

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2017
A couple of days ago one of my hens started spending LOTS of time just laying on the ground. I picked her up one day and put her down but she fell and went right back to laying down. After putting her on her feet a few times, she was able to start walking around but she was really slow. Yesterday she was still walking slow but I never saw her laying down. Last night when I went to put everyone to bed, she was laying in the middle of the yard and couldn’t stand up at all. I put her to bed and decided I was taking her to the vet today. This morning I found her in the coop dead. She was only 3 years old and none of my other chickens were acting strange. She was also eating and drinking when I offered food and water. Everyone else was acting normal and they’re still acting normal. Anyone know what happened?

Your state poultry lab could do a necropsy on your hen if you still have the body, and can keep it cold in a cooler. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

She might have been egg bound, weak from heat stroke or not drinking, or something like Mareks disease. It would be hard to pinpoint the exact cause without a necropsy. Sorry for your loss.

That's exactly what happenedto a friend of mine. After it affected a couple she took one in for a necropasy. Turned out to be mareks and her whole flock was infected. A necropasy is a very good idea.

Hannah Green, I am so sorry for your loss 😞 we just lost all but 1 in our flock to symptoms similar to this within the past month - however, ours were completely asymptomatic until about 12-24hours before death. I realise your poor hen declined over a period of days and death was not as rapid as in our case, but her passing may unfortunately be a precursor to trouble with the rest of your flock - we are still awaiting necropsy results but if you’d like I can keep you updated as to what the lab determines, if it may offer any answers to your questions

Hannah Green, I am so sorry for your loss 😞 we just lost all but 1 in our flock to symptoms similar to this within the past month - however, ours were completely asymptomatic until about 12-24hours before death. I realise your poor hen declined over a period of days and death was not as rapid as in our case, but her passing may unfortunately be a precursor to trouble with the rest of your flock - we are still awaiting necropsy results but if you’d like I can keep you updated as to what the lab determines, if it may offer any answers to your questions
That would be great. She was the last of my original group of chickens and she had been through so much. We had possums for a while then one raccoon that took a duck and injured a few. She had also been through a hurricane. I thought she was gonna live for a lot longer because of everything else she got through. Right now all the other chickens are fine and acting normal

Hannah, as promised here are the necropsy results... hopefully this may help you

Attachments

• 06090D40-CDD8-457C-8E48-E459A42E1516.jpeg
    06090D40-CDD8-457C-8E48-E459A42E1516.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2F55EB52-6284-46C5-8D50-40CDE3843F97.jpeg
    2F55EB52-6284-46C5-8D50-40CDE3843F97.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom