Hen can not open beak and looks like she has no neck

Mygirlschickens

Hatching
Jun 19, 2017
Hello. My daughter is upset as one of her pet chickens was getting attacked by a raccoon. We were able to quickly stop it however injuries were still sustained. We have separated her and she is holding up. Looks like maybe only a claw mark on the back of her neck. However she did fall from the roost. She doesn't appear to be able to open her beak or bend down to drink/eat. If we hold her and tip her over she does appear to be getting some water in. She also looks like she doesn't have a neck anymore and only takes a couple steps. She mainly stays in one position. She does sometimes tilt her head back to stretch and sounds like her neck is cracking. Not sure what to do. We have cleaned her up a bit but she doesn't let us do much.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    642.1 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 14

ChocolateMouse

Free Ranging
7 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Cleveland OH
That poor bird. Without looking at it in person I can't quite tell but my guess is that the neck is probably completely devoid of skin at this point. It looks like a lot of feathers are missing. Birds don't recover from that, and a quick end would be most humane.
Now, if I'm wrong and the whole rest of the bird's neck in in tact it might recover. So I would check that ASAP. But a bird that can't open it's beak can't eat and still would need to be put down. If it can eat and isn't missing too much skin it might recover, chickens are resilient and can live through a lot if it's not devastating. There could be nerve damage as well but right now I suspect it's not opening it's beak from shock and pain. No way to tell internal damage except to wait.
If you want to try to treat it, I would treat the open wounds with betadine (or maybe blu-kote though I've never used it myself) 2Xs a day and give the bird some nutri-drench (it's an electrolyte mixture that doesn't require digestion).
Good luck. At best you have at least a few long nights ahead of you to nurse this bird through. Please be prepared to take appropriate measures to stop it's suffering if the bird gets worse.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Keep the wound cleaned with saline or Vetericyn, and plain neosporin or polysporin ointment can be applied once or twice daily. Keep her in a basket or crate near water and food. Getting enough food or water over the next few days will be most important. With her problems with her beak and neck, you will need to help feed her. Tube feeding her would be a good option, using a feeding or crop tube and baby bird feed. Water with SaveAChick electrolytes is most important at first. If she can eat, offer her wet chicken feed mixed with a lot of water and some raw or chopped egg. Be sure and check your coop for security at night to prevent other injuries. Good luck, and let us know how she is getting along.

Mygirlschickens

Hatching
Jun 19, 2017
Unfortunately she passed away last night. Thank you for the information. We have made changes to the coop to keep the other one safe at night.

Top Bottom