Hen cannot walk or stand without falling over!

Skywolfe10

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2020
I have a 6 month old belgian duccle bantam. Recently ive noticed she has been falling over on one side. She will be standing or walking and all of a sudden she tips over and falls. She walks without a limp so I dont believe its an injury. When I pick her up she is shaking like crazy even on a 70° sunny day. She will walk around and stay with the group but doesnt interact. Shes also started to eat and drink less but is still interested in treats. She is top hen and has not laid an egg yet, she isnt bullied at all. Please help!

Attachments

• 5BE36EB8-23FE-4AC2-9C22-3B9E3DEFA972.jpeg
    5BE36EB8-23FE-4AC2-9C22-3B9E3DEFA972.jpeg
    803.4 KB · Views: 14
I have a 6 month old belgian duccle bantam. Recently ive noticed she has been falling over on one side. She will be standing or walking and all of a sudden she tips over and falls. She walks without a limp so I dont believe its an injury. When I pick her up she is shaking like crazy even on a 70° sunny day. She will walk around and stay with the group but doesnt interact. Shes also started to eat and drink less but is still interested in treats. She is top hen and has not laid an egg yet, she isnt bullied at all. Please help!
I'm sorry that your pullet is not well.
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
What do you feed?
Is she pooping? What's that like?
How long has she had these symptoms?

It could be a number of things. With her age Marek's disease comes to mind.
I would try vitamin therapy to see if that makes a difference. 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E once a day for a week.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I'm sorry that your pullet is not well.
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
What do you feed?
Is she pooping? What's that like?
How long has she had these symptoms?

It could be a number of things. With her age Marek's disease comes to mind.
I would try vitamin therapy to see if that makes a difference. 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E once a day for a week.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
She has not been vaccinated for mareks she came from tsc. My other chicken had coccidia and have been treating the whole flock with corid for 2 weeks and he is finally getting better now. Wondering if the corid for 2 weeks has anything to do with it.

She has not been vaccinated for mareks she came from tsc. My other chicken had coccidia and have been treating the whole flock with corid for 2 weeks and he is finally getting better now. Wondering if the corid for 2 weeks has anything to do with it.
What dose of Corid are you giving?
Likely the Corid has nothing to do with her not feeling well.

What dose of Corid are you giving?
Likely the Corid has nothing to do with her not feeling well.
2tsp of corid, my rooster had bad blood diarrhea and was treating the whole flock and he is just now having normal poops but now shes acting funky.

Poor thing, is she eating/drinking well? Is she getting enough vitamins?
I was thinking along the lines of vitamin deficiency. Shes eating and drinking just less than she usually does. Ive just given her some selenium and vitamin E gel.

Back
Top Bottom