Hen can't open her beak

caitlinek

Hatching
Sep 12, 2022
I have a cream legbar hen about 18 months who has gotten a bit listless lately. I noticed she was thin, so took her aside and checked her out. She had a bit of a poop backend, but also cannot seem to open her mouth. She is trying to eat, and I can see her tongue working. I tried to gently pry her beak open, but was not able to. She also hasn't laid in quite a while if that adds anything.
Any ideas on what I can do to help her?

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of her?

When was her last egg?
Any lice/mites?

If you pull down on her wattles, can you get her beak open?
Any bad odors or discharge?
Thanks for responding. I tried pulling on her wattles to open the beak, as well as sliding my fingernail into the groove between upper and lower. Neither seemed to work. I tried to post a video of her trying to drink, but it wouldnt load. I'll try again tonighy. I am attaching a one of her poop.
When she tries to drink she puts her beak in and you can see her tongue and throat working, but her beak never opens. I'm wondering if she is getting at least a little bit?
Her last egg has honestly been probably 3+ months. She was never a good layer, and I haven't seen her color egg in a long time. I have had some mite issues lately, but when I washed her vent up last night I did not see any on her.

Attachments

• 20220913_053118.jpg
    20220913_053118.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220913_054342.jpg
    20220913_054342.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 2
For video, you will need to upload to youtube or similar platform and provide a link. The BYC upload doesn't work.

Looks like her beak if overgrown, so she may be having some problems picking up food.
Green poop like that could just be from not eating well.

Try filing down or trimming up her beak and see if that helps.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/

Looks like her beak if overgrown, so she may be having some problems picking up food.
That's what I thought when I looked at the pic. My Polish doesn't get around too well because of a leg deformity, so she doesn't wear down her beak or toenails like the average chicken would. I'd done a good job with her toes, but didn't think her beak looked too bad. But one day, she was having trouble closing her beak all the way and it caused her to have trouble eating. A quick beak trim, and she's back to normal (well, as normal as she can be).

Thank you both! I filed her beak down quite a bit tonight. I will check in the morning. I may need to take a bit more off tomorrow and see if that helps her. She was pretty done with my fussing tonight, so I gave her a break. I appreciate your insight!

Back
Top Bottom