Hen cant walk, flaps wings to move.

I missed this post. I would try her in a dog crate for visits with the flock. That might perk her up. You do want to keep her separated from the others and the rooster, especially, since they might try to harm her because she is lame.
She’s sitting on our back porch in the crate, don’t mind the mess in pics, we’ve not had a nice enough day yet to get all the trash cleaned up from winter!

I would not flush her vent but you could soak her bottom in warm soapy water and clean her up so flies don’t lay maggot larvae. Let’s hope that she was eggbound, and that is the reason for her lameness. Sometimes that happens. I would bive her a dose of calcium today and for the next couple of days. Human calcium tablet 1/2 tab orally or 1/2 a Tums. When they have a shell-less egg, it can make them feel really wiped out. Hopefully, it is from a calcium deficiency, but it could also be from a problem with her shell gland in her oviduct.

1587852625934.jpeg

You mention rooster and express worry several times in your thread.
Is he a rough rooster?
Exactly how old is this hen and the rooster?
Her back is tender?

I would clean up her poopy rear - soaking works well. If you don't want to get her wet, then for that large poop ball get a pair of pliers and carefully crush it up - that thing will crumble up and make it easier to remove. Yep, it would be good to wear a mask when doing this!

If the rooster harming her is a concern, then I would not put her back in the general population, even if she's able to stand now. If needed, move that crate to the run so she's near the others. Provide her with food/water and let her stay protected from the rooster.

Photos of the rooster gives you bonus points :)
He isn’t the roughest I’ve seen but he does get excited. Their backs aren’t bald but they’re missing some feathers. I’m gonna bathe her now, will check back in a few.

I would not flush her vent but you could soak her bottom in warm soapy water and clean her up so flies don’t lay maggot larvae. Let’s hope that she was eggbound, and that is the reason for her lameness. Sometimes that happens. I would bive her a dose of calcium today and for the next couple of days. Human calcium tablet 1/2 tab orally or 1/2 a Tums. When they have a shell-less egg, it can make them feel really wiped out. Hopefully, it is from a calcium deficiency, but it could also be from a problem with her shell gland in her oviduct.

View attachment 2107774
Thank you so much! I’m on it now!

No one prepared me for how fluffy a chicken is once blow dried 😍

the bad news is I think I may see what’s wrong, and I really hope it’s me thats wrong.
Also, this stuff came out of her bum when I turned her over in her back to feel her belly.

I know it’d be rare, but I’m thinking possibly Ascites. I hope im wrong. Just gonna keep an eye on her and see if her belly gets any bigger.
In the mean time, there’s gotta be something else going on. She did a lot of gasping in the tub, and I made sure she didn’t get any water up her nose. I also found this on her breast bone. A scar maybe? She’s starting to sound pretty hoarse and raspy.

Attachments

• C097BFF9-24C6-407E-804F-AA0B5F6BE3CD.jpeg
    C097BFF9-24C6-407E-804F-AA0B5F6BE3CD.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 16
  • B82C584C-2FF7-45B7-A5E9-6F26F7949882.jpeg
    B82C584C-2FF7-45B7-A5E9-6F26F7949882.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 17
Those irritated breast can develop sores or blisters from pressure lying on the ground, especially if it is damp, or any pressure on the area. That might just be a watery dropping. Is her lower belly enlarged and tight?

Those irritated breast can develop sores or blisters from pressure lying on the ground, especially if it is damp, or any pressure on the area. That might just be a watery dropping. Is her lower belly enlarged and tight?
Gotcha. So last night she seemed to be doing better. I put her out with the others. This morning she wasn’t so great and remains in the house. She’s starting to act lethargic and listless. I’ve given her a broad spectrum antibiotic and 1/2 calcium tab.
I’m really believing that this has something to do with the egg issue. Should I check her again for being eggbound or would it not be anymore evident today than yesterday?

She has taken a turn for the worst. I feel like she’s actually dying with every breath she takes. So she’s pretty heavy on her back end. I lifted her tail to see her bulge is much bigger and it’s not hard but not super squishy either. She is putrid. Her poop is a neon green color . Last time I had a chick that was basically wasting away pooping green like that and there was no saving it. She has a rattle when she breathes and her nose is Runny. She will stilll eat when food is presented to her. She is getting very very weak. The antibiotics must not be doing her any good. Nor the calcium. I’m wondering if it would hurt to try a few doses or coridx I’ve never witnessed cocci in an adult bird, so could this possible be jt?

Attachments

• 9FEEC773-D1D6-4700-B99C-43A965D91B5F.jpeg
    9FEEC773-D1D6-4700-B99C-43A965D91B5F.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1F6853FE-6129-46BA-92F6-D6C4F60E67B8.jpeg
    1F6853FE-6129-46BA-92F6-D6C4F60E67B8.jpeg
    618.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 115F8B81-F4E5-441D-9D6B-1F7F603BFB2D.jpeg
    115F8B81-F4E5-441D-9D6B-1F7F603BFB2D.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 6
With her back end so enlarged she probably does have ascites, but I do think she has a reproductive infection that is causing the shell-less broken egg. She might have egg yolk peritonitis as well, or will if this goes on. I would think about putting her down if she seems to be suffering. Her vent area needs to be cleaned up, but a soak or bath may well kill her. You could try draining her lower abdomen to relieve the pressure, which may allow her to breathe easier if you want to do that. It is an invasive procedure, can cause infection or even death, and is only a temporary relief. Usually an 18 gauge needle with a large syringe from the feed store is used, inserted just under the skin, after disinfecting the skin. Here is a video of draining:

With her back end so enlarged she probably does have ascites, but I do think she has a reproductive infection that is causing the shell-less broken egg. She might have egg yolk peritonitis as well, or will if this goes on. I would think about putting her down if she seems to be suffering. Her vent area needs to be cleaned up, but a soak or bath may well kill her. You could try draining her lower abdomen to relieve the pressure, which may allow her to breathe easier if you want to do that. It is an invasive procedure, can cause infection or even death, and is only a temporary relief. Usually an 18 gauge needle with a large syringe from the feed store is used, inserted just under the skin, after disinfecting the skin. Here is a video of draining:

As soon as I got done posting I cut her feathers back there :/ the mkre I read about egg yolk peritonitis, the more I think that’s it simply because of the shell-less egg.
I guess i can still try to drain it. I already have all the stuff to do it. I just don’t want to cause anything bad to happen to her should she actually have a chance at survival.
Thanks your help again!

Back
Top Bottom