Hen chasing newbie even though pecking order is clear...what should I do?

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I have (2) 16-week old hens and just added (2) 13-week old hens. For the first week, we did the 'look but no touch' method. After 7 days, I let them join each other. All seems manageable except one of my older hen (Speckled Sussex) keeps chasing one of my new hen (Red Sexlink) who is clearly at the bottom of the pecking order. She doesn't try to fight back or stand up for herself. There is a little pecking by the SS but nothing bad enough to cause injury. I just feel sorry for my RS, she keeps on jumping into the coop to get away and can't fully relax. (FYI I have a 300 SF run with a bunch of plants and good hiding places, 2 sets of everything, and lots of grass and mulch to scratch so I don't think it's a space or boredom issue). Is this normal behavior that's part of integration and establishing pecking order? I just am not sure since my RS is clearly at the bottom yet she's still getting harassed. What should I do if anything... Please help, I'm new to chickens as these are my firsts!

Last edited:
I have (2) 16-week old hens and just added (2) 13-week old hens. For the first week, we did the 'look but no touch' method. After 7 days, I let them join each other. All seems manageable except one of my older hen (Speckled Sussex) keeps chasing one of my new hen (Red Sexlink) who is clearly at the bottom of the pecking order. She doesn't try to fight back or stand up for herself. There is a little pecking by the SS but nothing bad enough to cause injury. I just feel sorry for my RS, she keeps on jumping into the coop to get away and can't fully relax. (FYI I have a 300 SF run with a bunch of plants and good hiding places, 2 sets of everything, and lots of grass and mulch to scratch so I don't think it's a space or boredom issue). Is this normal behavior that's part of integration and establishing pecking order? I just am not sure since my RS is clearly at the bottom yet she's still getting harassed. What should I do if anything... Please help, I'm new to chickens as these are my firsts!
As long as there are no injuries or blood and you integrated well (which you did), they were sort it out. The RSL will grow larger and sort it out. Its normal for them to peck and even sometimes chase, but as long as there is no blood or injuries, they are fine

As long as there are no injuries or blood and you integrated well (which you did), they were sort it out. The RSL will grow larger and sort it out. Its normal for them to peck and even sometimes chase, but as long as there is no blood or injuries, they are fine
Thanks cherrynberry. I've been intervening if I'm in their run and it happens. Is that ok? I've read in some places you shouldn't intervene and in some places you should!

Back
Top Bottom