Hen choices in wisconsin cold?

Buff Orpington, Brahma, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Delaware, Wyandotte, New Hampshire Red and Red Sex Link. In order from best to worst (in your case, that means prettiest/hardiest first) would be :
Buff Orpington
Barred Rock
Brahma
Rhode Island Red
Delaware
Wyandotte
Red Sex Link
New Hampshire Red

Buff Orpington being the BEST.
Good Luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Great ideas guys!!
smile.png
I went to my county fair tonight and saw some chickens!! The chickens were the main attraction for me. After some thought I'm thinking 2 buff orpingtons(for eggs), 2, E.E.'s(cool eggs), 1 polish, 1 silkie, 1, barred rock, and 1 brahma, and maybe 2 more
lol.png
I think an all black one and a all white one! Now any ideas of places that sell sexed chicks? I looked at ideal and my pet chicken but they only seem to sell baby chicks and I can only have hens as part of my ordinance??? Thanks again guys/gals!! Wisco

Hello fellow Wisconsinite..
smile.png

You are in the tropics compared to me...
big_smile.png

We have EE's from MPC. Love them and they do well in winter with the pea combs. We also have pure breed Ameraucana's they have pea combs too. If interested in those, I am not sure if MPC has them. You may need to go to a breeder, there are a few in Wisconsin. (Check out ABC):
http://ameraucana.org/BreedersDirectory.htm

We have Marans too.. I do not know how they will winter until next spring..
wink.png

ON

Last edited:
Hey organics north and thank you, but doesnt MPC only sell small chicks? I can't have roosters??
And I forgot one on my list, I want a frizzle as well as an all black and an all white one of some breed! Are'nt buckeyes all black?
Peace, Wisco Mitch

And last night at the Waupaca co. fair the 2 chicken people that I could find around the exhibits asked are you looking for standard or ummmm Oh I forget but what are they asking me? I'm guessing it has something to do with showing or keeping a pet?
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
With MPC you have the choice of sexed chicks. (Getting just girls or just boys) or unsexed. You pay a few cents more for sexed females. I do not know about buckeyes. Many breeds have all black. My pure Ameraucana some are all black. Same goes for white.

The chicken people were most likely asking if you wanted Standard size or Bantam size. Bantams are smaller and not available in all breeds.

If you have concerns about our winters, avoid the Mediterranean breeds That link to the Henderson chicken chart tells you what breeds thrive in cold weather..

Be well
ON

O.k. O.k. I looked back at MPC and found where you can choose sexes! Do you sell Ameraucana or any other breed? I wish I could find all my chickens local rather than going to a big hatchery. If so, how far north are you, Hurley north or just eagle riverish north? Thanks again for your insight!
O.k. Update on my chicken coop worked on it for a few more hours today, got the nest box tops on hinges, started the roof frame got plexi glass windows in! I think tommorow I will finish roof except for shingles and make open/close vents in! Oh its just like i had imagined! I work at a horse trail riding/campground for you campers!! Pet friendly,come take a ride at wild west!
wink.png
Thanks to Jay(my boss) for all the help! I think once this is done I can/will duplicate or make diff. coops for about 5-600 $.
65831_08-29-10951525.jpg

65831_08-29-10951526.jpg

65831_08-29-10951527.jpg

Yeah I have a smile on my face
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I am in the Minoqua/Woodruff area.
I have EE's from MPC, Pure Black/Blue and Splash Ameraucana from Paul Smith in TX and Blue Marans. I have no chicks, or pullets I am willing to give up...
hmm.png
I do have some nice cockerels I could part with..the pullets and laying hens are mine mine mine....
gig.gif

I like MPC you can order just a few chicks and pick your sex, also get a couple different varieties.. Hang out on their web site and check it out.

If you like Ameraucana their are two high end breeders listed in Wisconsin. I have talked to Jerry, very nice fella. They may have some started birds...? I think you are stuck with either unsexed chicks from some one local, or started or adult birds that are sexed. If you want sexed chicks the only choice is going to be a big hatchery. I am unaware of any small breeders that sex chicks.

http://ameraucana.org/DnLd/BreedersDirectory.pdf

DeSmidt, Jerry
N912 Hill Road
Pulaski, WI 54162
(920)833-9772
[email protected]

Gilbert, Mike
W5171 Baker Rd.
Holmen, WI 54636
(608)857-3386
[email protected]

Thanks alot O. North but no cockerels for me
wink.png
. So my list is:]
2-buff orp's
1-Barred rock
1-brahma
1-s.l.wydotte
1-frizzle
1-silkie
1-polish(got today) CRAZY GIRL, black w/ white head picked on back of neck from rooster, will it grow back? Pics soon!! EDIT** A guy e-mailed me and said they have a good chance of dying in wisconsin winters whats up wit dat?
2-E.E's(got today) One mostly black w/ green and other color/one Cream w/ white/Pics soon!
and 1-cochin/bantam just for beckyschicks) and she is the sweetest so far! Pics soon _soooo cute!
smile.png

Coop is done except for paint and any other final touches, new pics tomorrow, these pics are almost there though!

65831_coop_pics_015.jpg

65831_coop_pics_013.jpg

I put hay in nest boxes, pine shavings on floor(seemed to be eating it?) Feeding them Fleet Farm crumbles, and oyster shell?? all day everyday? and water. Threw instant oatmeal on the ground this eve. thay seemed to enjoy it? Do they need grit? I see talk of clipping toe nails and beaks? They are all about a year old(lil over) the 2 E.E.'s where laying eggs daily! Is there any reason other than getting away from predators to lock them up at night? They did'nt want to go in I put them in at 8:15 ish. Oh I hope I'm doing every thing right...
Thanks , Wisco
cool.png

Last edited:
I am from the northwoods also (Hiles, 13 from 3 Lakes) and the best layers I have found are the Production Reds. Last winter I was getting 18 eggs a day from 20 birds consistantly. My Polish old lady also gives me about 4 eggs a wk. and my blue Cochin about the same as the Polish. Only the roosters seem to have a problem with frostbite but I have never lost a bird in the winter time. I had Australops and EE's and haven't had as good a luck as with the PR's.

Hey Pennie--we used to camp in Hiles when I was kid. It was at Pine Lake. (prolly a ton of them!) I cant remember the name of the campground but I do remember that the couple that ran it had a son named Tim. We wrote letters to each other all winter! My Dad grew up in Argon and we trout fished up there on opening day for years! Oh the memories! Terri O

(PS) my production reds are great producers too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom