Hen circling/ loss of balance/ tremor. Help!!

Neurologic symptoms of wry neck can include the symptoms she is having. Seizures also can be common in chickens. I would continue to give the increased vitamin E and B complex as Wyorp Rock at least for a couple of weeks. Since wry neck can be a result of head injury, vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, or a disease that affects the brain (Mareks, Newcastles, avian influenza, serious respiratory disease, tumor,) it can take some time to see results and improvement.
Thank you for replying.

We bought the vitamins suggested by Wyorp Rock. Went ahead and gave her the recommended amount. She doesn't want to eat or drink anything. But we gave her a small amount of scrambled egg. All she seems to do is sleep. She also tends to close her left eye more than her right.

Also to note when she is out walking or standing she does not hold her neck in any position. It is normal. Her gait is slow but does not really lose balance.

Later this afternoon as I was trying to feed her again. She had a seizure. She got low, turn her head to the left and head began to shake slightly, her eyes widen. She then stayed there asleep and she had a small amount of bubbles/salvia on the outside of her beak. When I carried her to her coop she tends to curl her feet. It was extremely difficult to witness.

If hypothetically speaking, it is a vitamin deficiency. Will the seizures stop? Obviously only time will tell. But would she go "back to normal". Or does her having seizures mean we should be prepared to say goodbye.

Its only been one day that we gave her the vitamins suggested by Wyorp Rock. I hope it helps her.

Attachments

• 20240520_192637.jpg
    20240520_192637.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240520_193249.jpg
    20240520_193249.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 2
I'm sorry she's have so much trouble.

There's no way to know if the vitamins will stop the seizures or not. I'd give them a try and see, they shouldn't hurt for a few weeks.

With her closing the eye and having seizures, I would lean towards Marek's disease, but again, without testing, no way to really know.

Thank you for replying.

We bought the vitamins suggested by Wyorp Rock. Went ahead and gave her the recommended amount. She doesn't want to eat or drink anything. But we gave her a small amount of scrambled egg. All she seems to do is sleep. She also tends to close her left eye more than her right.

Later this afternoon as I was trying to feed her again. She had a seizure. She got low, turn her head to the left and head began to shake slightly, her eyes widen. She then stayed there asleep and she had a small amount of bubbles/salvia on the outside of her beak. When I carried her to her coop she tends to curl her feet. It was extremely difficult to witness.

If hypothetically speaking, it is a vitamin deficiency. Will the seizures stop? Obviously only time will tell. But would she go "back to normal". Or does her having seizures mean we should be prepared to say goodbye.

Its only been one day that we gave her the vitamins suggested by Wyorp Rock. I hope it helps her.

I'm sorry she's have so much trouble.

There's no way to know if the vitamins will stop the seizures or not. I'd give them a try and see, they shouldn't hurt for a few weeks.

With her closing the eye and having seizures, I would lean towards Marek's disease, but again, without testing, no way to really know.
Initially I had noticed her keeping her left eye partially closed and assumed she had been pecked. Because she does and has been bullied by my other 2 hens. However I noticed her circling.

After a couple days, she would keep her eyes open. Occasionally circle and she seemed off and slow. She would still eat.

But now she will be asleep. Or when she does walk around it seems like she is off balance. She doesn't want to eat or drink. Yesterday we force fed her but it wasnt much food. Today again force fed but it was even less food and water.

Today she has been holding her left eye closed. When I carry her is when she curls her feet inward. Im only aware of her having 2 seizures, once yesterday and one today. They were brief and she goes to sleep right after.

Back
Top Bottom