Hen coughing

A2Kzoo2

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
SW MI
I have a RIR hen who has been coughing for the past couple days. She otherwise is eating and acting normally and none of my other 9 chickens in her flock are coughing. Is it something I should be treating or getting checked out?

It could be some respiratory problem. Not sure how to treat them. sorry
hit.gif
good luck though!

Does she have any eye drainage or foam, any nasal drainage, or swelling around the face or eyes? Is there any mold in the coop or dusty conditions? Google "common poultry diseases" and you will see a link from University of Florida that is good.

No other symptoms, no runny nose or eyes, she's still active and eating and drinking. I don't know if she's laying. Will clean coop thoroughly this weekend to see if that helps. None of the other 9 are having any issues.

No other symptoms, no runny nose or eyes, she's still active and eating and drinking.  I don't know if she's laying. Will clean coop thoroughly this weekend to see if that helps.  None of the other 9 are having any issues.

I have something similar going on. One hen has a cough and sounds "rattley" when she breaths most but not all the time. Eating and active no discharge. How did your hen do? Did you treat her at all? I'm thinking maybe she inhaled some dirt or something nobody else has the cough and it's been a few days but hesitant to give antibiotics without there being any discharge or outward signs of sickness or feeling off. Thanks.

A few days after cleaning out the entire coop, she's doing much better. Found a mushroom of some sort growing under a wood box that we had turned upside down and used as a table for their water. Their water containers are now out in the run area since it's warm and I removed the box from the coop. It may have been allergies, something she breathed in, or just needed to clean up, but she never showed any other outward symptoms and I never treated her. None of the other birds were getting it either, so I don't think it was something contagious. She's sounding normal now, so whatever it was is no longer ailing her.

A few days after cleaning out the entire coop, she's doing much better.  Found a mushroom of some sort growing under a wood box that we had turned upside down and used as a table for their water.  Their water containers are now out in the run area since it's warm and I removed the box from the coop.  It may have been allergies, something she breathed in, or just needed to clean up, but she never showed any other outward symptoms and I never treated her.  None of the other birds were getting it either, so I don't think it was something contagious.  She's sounding normal now, so whatever it was is no longer ailing her.

Oh that's awesome thank you for replying. I was feeling guilty for not doing something for her but didn't want to give her medication if it wasn't needed. I did just clean out their coop too so maybe that'll help. Will keep an eye on her thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom