Hen Crowing- SOS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fuzzypea, May 15, 2010.

1. Fuzzypea

Fuzzypea Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I have a cochin hen, named Ralphie. She layed an egg once, but then stopped and started to crow. It seems like she is trying

to act like a rooster, but isn't very good at it... Ralphie will try to walk sideways toward me like some of my other roosters do,

but she will only go a couple of steps then fall over. [​IMG] Its things like this that make me think that Ralph might just be a dominant hen...

Does anybody know how I could cure this... or what is wrong with Ralph? [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I had a hen that was the dominate of my flock and even went through the motions of mating other hens (but never crowed). I brought a real rooster into my flock and he put her in her place.

3. nursesammy

nursesammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    I read a post on here once. Someone with the same problem. Said that apparently a hen can change to a rooster. Something to do with hormone levels. Its rare. Ill see if i can find the post for ya.

4. nursesammy

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    Ok ok.. I cant find it. Lol but i swear i saw it. Some lady in london had it happened. Her grew spurs and breed. She even hatched out the eggs. And it layed eggs for like a year or something. I know.. Im going to get called a liar. Sorry im no help. Lol

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I've read posts like that too, nursesammy. It's pretty bizarre!!

6. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Ralphie is a befitting name for her then!
    Tom-boy name, Tom-boy attitude lol

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  7. nursesammy

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    Yeah! Im not the only one whos read that stuff! Thank you for reassuring me.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Not all that rare; usually happens to older birds who have somehow damaged their working ovary (normally only one of a hen's ovaries works). They do not actually become male--can't father chicks. However, their female hormones pretty much disappear and male ones either match level of female hormones or take over. On another list I know someone who has a hen who occasionally lays her egg, crows daily, and has male patterned colouring. No mistaking birds as it is her only one, and lives in her house.

edited for too many typos

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    get a proper roo... that'll sort her out.. [​IMG]

10. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    My Black Australorp in my first flock crowed all the time ... and if I didn't bring treats out would fling herself against the back door to get my attention. [​IMG] chickens are a hooooot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by