Hen crowing with a rooster present?

I do understand why you would be confused. I have a 12 week wyandotte bantam that looks just like yours, same color too. Looks kind of like a boy but acts like a girl, well mine has never tried to crow. According to Henderson's chart they are supposed to be moderately early maturing but I have a Jap bantam that crowed at 5 weeks, and OEGB(RIP Ashley) that crowed at 8 and 2 silkie roos that crowed at 9/10 weeks, all of these from the same group. I am waiting for an egg or a crow before I commit to calling Madison a him or her.

Thanks for the replies
smile.png

Well, no eggs for me I guess. I started out with what I thought were 3 pullets, I found out one was a roo but that was ok, then I found out that actually 2 were roos so I gave one roo away. That left me with 2 chickens and I thought they were a pair. And now my only pullet is a roo. How's that for luck?

I was so sure it was a pullet. There was bad fighting between the two known roos (that's why I gave one away) and it seemed like they were fighting for the lone "pullet". They never fought with the "pullet". When the roos were fighting, it would run away scared. It's not loud or chirpy, it comes when the roo calls it, makes soft cheeps to him, and doesn't fight with him. That's why even after I heard it crow, I just couldn't believe that it was a roo, it acts like such a girl! It's going to be hard to start thinking of "her" as a boy.

So, since she is actually a he, should I expect these two to start fighting too? Oh, man I don't want to go through that again, it was bloody. It's been so peaceful since I gave one of the "fighters" away! I didn't think roos would fight that bad without girls around, I thought they were fighting over the "pullet". But now that I know they were all roos all along, I'm wondering if it's odd that out of 3 roos together (with no girls) 2 of them constantly had bloody fights, but never involved the third one?

Wouldn't it be great if we were all wrong, and I woke up to an egg?
big_smile.png
(I'm kidding, I know better)

Back
Top Bottom