Hen crowing with a rooster present?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BWchicken, Jun 16, 2009.

1. BWchicken

BWchicken Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    I know hens usually don't crow unless there's no rooster present. I have two 12 week old bantams, a d'uccle roo and a wyandotte pullet. I think my "pullet" tried to crow today with the rooster standing next to her. He had been crowing for a while and then suddenly she let out a crow, it wasn't perfect but she was definitely trying to crow. She only did it twice in a row, then no more. Could she really be a rooster?

Here's some pictures of "her" :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Do you have a close up of the saddle feather area? I'm afraid I'm seeing saddle feathers...

3. cybercat

cybercat Songster

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Yes, it looks like a roo sounds like a roo it is a rooster. 12 weeks that comb is way too red for a pullet.

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I have to agree, it looks rooish to me, but what a beauty!

5. deeredawn

deeredawn In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Nova, Ohio
    Ok. this is just what I've been told. Old hens can have a spontaneous sex change if there is an infection on an ovary. It will cause hormonal changes in which the hen will molt male plummage, crow and try to mount other hens. IF the infection is successfully treated the "cock" will return to female status by her next molt. There is a good chance that the "cock" will lay eggs as well. [​IMG]

If you don't believe me check page 54 in your Chicken Health Handbook. If I'm lyin, I'm dyin....

6. Sorry, but that looks like a cockerel to me......

I do have a hen that crows (if you want to call it that, it sounds more like she is being strangled). But, she quit when I brought home a rooster from Nadine (fellower BYCr).

But ! She has started to crow (occassionally) like she is answering the cockerels that are beginning to crow now.

I know she is a hen because I have hatched 40+ chicks from her eggs. [​IMG]

7. BWchicken

BWchicken Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Here is a picture of the saddle feather area, she wouldn't be still so this is the best I can do:
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I thought Wyandottes had tails [​IMG]

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I definitely see saddle feathers....sorry.

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yup..thats a roo....I have bantam wyandottes and 3 roos. Surprisingly only 1 has crowed and it was the youngest.

I have a pullet leghorn that did crow 4 times. And we have a ton of roosters at our house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: