Hen crowing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kannm, Jan 15, 2009.

1. kannm

kannm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Hi. I have a wonderful silky hen that started crowing today. We love her, but cannot keep him. Is there a way to convince him to lay eggs?

2. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I'm confused. Is it really a rooster or hen? How old? I have heard that as hens get old, they lose their hen-hormones, which may cause them to start crowing.

3. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    Just in case you haven't been told this yet:

[​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't have a roo at present and my large red sex link hen actually tries to crow... it's sounds gross but you can tell that she is trying to tell everyone, she is the BOSS!-

5. Puff of Fluff

Puff of Fluff Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] . Have you had her/him very long and is this the only chicken you have? Are there other chickens living in your neighborhood? Maybe she is just singing back to them about their new made egg [​IMG] . Is it a true crow, long, loud and forceful? Or more like a hen song where it starts and kind of goes up and down in pitch and in volume? Hen song can sometimes sound pretty close to a crow.

6. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Take her to a farm with a male bird and have him breed her. That should quieten her up for a bit! [​IMG]

7. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    I have heard that sometimes when you have all hens. Sometimes one hen becomes dominant and starts taking rooster charteristics and crowing is one of them.

I am glad none of my hens crow. My grandma beleives it is bad luck she would make me cull it for sure [​IMG]

8. kannm

kannm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    We are going to have to check her/him out, then. If you guys are serious and a girl can sometimes crow, I would be so happy.

Thank you for the welcome.

We do have all girls, I hope. So it is not completly impossible.

9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by