Hen crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chikenbutwut, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Chikenbutwut

Chikenbutwut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Benton, KY
    I have a young d'Uccle hen who is in quarantine right now (she's new) who crows. I know it's a hen 'cause well one, she looks like a hen and two, she's in her own cage and lays eggs, lol!

I cannot have roos where I'm at, so, of course, I can't have a crowing hen either.

Do you think when she is eventually introduced to my current flock that she may stop crowing? I mean, I've heard that dominant hens will crow and having her with my current flock may just knock her down some pegs once the pecking order gets resettled. I realize she may hit the top of the pecking order, but was wondering that if she didn't, if that would make her stop crowing?

If she doesn't stop crowing, I do have a friend who'll take her, but I was just wondering,

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There is really only one way to find out.

The couple of crowing hens I had both quit crowing after a month or two, without a rooster being added to the flock. I guess once the pecking order was decided, it wasn't necessary any more. I was glad, because they also climbed on the backs of the other hens, and I was hoping for no bare backs! Their "crows" weren't nearly as loud as the real thing, either. I'm sure others have had different eperiences, though.

3. Chikenbutwut

Chikenbutwut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Benton, KY
    Lol, she crows pretty good for a hen.

I guess you're right, I'll just have to wait and see. It's good to know that your hens eventually stopped, so I have hope for her.

Like I said though, if it gets to be an issue with the neighbors (we all live practically on top of each other) or if she doesn't stop, I have a friend who'll take her where crowing isn't an issue. They'd appreciate the extra eggs too, as they lost a lot of theirs when they let them free range, but they've since since built a run.

Thanks so much for your answer! [​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My four-year old speckled Sussex Sylvia has been crowing for a couple of years. She began when the flock had a rooster, and she continued after he died and kept on after the rooster's son grew up and started crowing. He has also died, and Sylvia still occasionally practices her crowing.

In the beginning, her crow sounded more like a strangled yodel. But lately, it's sounding like the real thing, absent the volume a rooster has.

I really doubt a hen crowing will present the same problem as a rooster because it lacks the volume and projection that allows the sound to carry considerable distance. Anyone beyond a next door neighbor probably won't be able to hear her. A darned shame, too. I know how much Sylvia enjoys crowing, and she's pretty proud of herself, too. Not every hen can crow, and she knows it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by