Hen cured

Sue Jess

Chirping
Aug 27, 2019
My hen had a weird calcified lump in her gut. I had it xrayed after she was looking unwell and her belly was huge and oddly warm to the touch. My vet said she was doomed and wouldn't last the week as she was 7 years old and the infection was really bad. He prescribed antibiotics which I gave her for 10 days and they helped but within a week she was sick again. I looked at many remedies before choosing what to do. I gave her an enema of coconut oil and bathed her. I brought her inside every night and put her on a hot water bottle. I put 1 ml of oregano oil into 1 litre of water for all the hens to drink during the day while she was out. I gave her watermelon sprinkled with probiotics every day before she went to sleep. I still gave antibiotics in the mornings for 10 days every third week. She did eventually die but it wasn't from the illness as I took her in for a checkup after 4 months had passed and the vet was astonished at her good health. He said that she had improved by at least 70%. My hen eventually died of old age and I was happy about that. I hope this helps someone who has a sick chicken. 😊

Attachments

• received_361843038099789.jpeg
    received_361843038099789.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 14
Sorry for your loss, but I imagine your chicken had a great life with you. It's a great story and a credit to your compassion. Thank you.
Thanks so much. She really did have a great life and loved cuddles. She used to make a purring noise when I would talk to her. I recorded it. She was the best mouser, ever! I still have the original Rooster of them all, too. He'd be at least 10. He's an amazing bird. Loves his hens and protects them. If one is sitting, he'll be close by, keeping an eye out. He's pictured here, welcoming one if his hens back into the coop. All of my chickens are free range and can choose whether to stay in or go exploring for the day. 😊
Screenshot_20191103-235355_Video Player.jpg
. Hehe.

Back
Top Bottom