Hen death, organs spilled out of cloaca.

NorthernChick1

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Is this a thing? Could a hen gush out her internal organs somehow throughout the cloaca vent?
I came home after working out of town for two days. I open the coop and i find one of my girls dead on the floor. I should of taken a better look before asking my boyfriend to remove her. It looked as if her organs spilled out of her cloaca? There wasn't any blood really and from what my boyfriend observed it didn't seem like the cause was from pecking. If its impossible to just gush out her insides then i guess we would have to rule out pecking... but all of the others seemed perfectly fine (besides the ugly molt and featherless butts). And the hen who died never got picked on before.

What do you think?

Sorry for your loss. Were they checked on daily? Was she eating and drinking before she died? Any other changes before death. Could she have been stepped on or smashed in anyway?

Sadly, hens can be cannibalistic. I think the most likely scenario is that one hen started picking at her and when the rest saw some redness/blood they all joined in.
If she was laying it's possible she may have prolapsed her vent and thats' what started it.
Sorry for your loss :(

Sometimes a hen will suffer from a prolapse and the bowel will spill out if there is a lot of straining. This is the worst type of prolase, and nothing can be done to save the life. Sometimes another chicken can help to pull it out, but it does happen on it’s own. Occasionally we see this when we are dealing with a hen who has had a minor prolapse for a few days, and when more comes out, the hen has to be put down. Sorry for your loss.

Sometimes a hen will suffer from a prolapse and the bowel will spill out if there is a lot of straining. This is the worst type of prolase, and nothing can be done to save the life. Sometimes another chicken can help to pull it out, but it does happen on it’s own. Occasionally we see this when we are dealing with a hen who has had a minor prolapse for a few days, and when more comes out, the hen has to be put down. Sorry for your loss.

I was gone monday and came back wednesday, no one to monitor them while i was gone. She was right beside the nesting boxes and the door when i found her. I should of taken a better look but there didnt seem to have blood, so im not confortable ruling out pecking.

Don’t beat yourself up. It was not your fault, and I doubt if you could have helped. Prolapsed vents happen, and this was an especially bad case. You may not have been able to prevent this, since it happens to many good egg layers.

My hen was exactly like this today. Dead, organs entirely hanging out. Still warm . She was older and had been laying a few torpedo shaped eggs a week. I kept mentioning the weird shape. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Back
Top Bottom