1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen depressed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CochinBrahmaLover, Dec 30, 2011.

1. My rooster has chosen my welsummer hen over my leghorn. He always sits next to her and the leghorn always sits under the cage unless i sit her next to them. Is she depressed because we only have 3 chickens and the rooster spends most of his time with the welsummer

2. SilkieMan

SilkieMan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Elkview
    She could be. Chickens definitely have their own personality. Could you get another chicken?

3. Well we're getting chicks in 1/30/12, but shes not a broody hen so I don't know if she'll be friends with the chicks

4. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    She could be feeling kind of left out, even though that might sound silly. I had two hens, a Black Star and a New Hampshire, and a rooster who was also a New Hampshire. The two NH's stuck together and picked on or left the BS out. The NH's went away and now there is a completely new rooster and a couple of new hens with the BS. They're all happy together.

I'm not saying you should get rid of anyone, not at all. But perhaps if you could find another hen for her to buddy up with, her mood might improve?

5. Well we're getting a coop by TUESDAY AT LATEST! And then we're gonna take all of the chickens the guy where we bought them from has left. I think the reason the rooster chose the one hen is they have had chicks before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by