Hen desired by all

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
In my flock I had 6 roos, no problems. But then realized that they ALL liked one hen. She was hiding all day because they ALL wanted her. I put 5 of the roos in a separate pen. But does anyone know why one hen would be targeted by all the roos?

She sure must be purty!
old.gif
gig.gif

I have one hen that the roosters all mount; she has taken to hiding in the blackberry brambles during the day and making a dash for the coop at night.

She is a smaller breed (a layer, not dual purpose) and also very submissive. If they corner her, she squats immediately and they have their way with her. (I yank roosters off her pretty regularly.)

The other hens and pullets seem to have refusal rights, but not this girl. If I could catch her when she's out of the brambles, I'd put a shawl (hen saddle) on her.

Quote:
I think the saddle is a good idea. Maybe I should paint a hawk on it or something! She doesn't squat for them, they just grab her by the neck feathers. Hopefully life will be better now............

I have one of those too lol. My new Black EE, Irene, is object of all 6 of my rooster's desires
tongue.png
She is like some foreign exotic beauty, lol even though we have about 6 other black hens. Fortunately, she is a very forceful and strong willed hen - none of them have been able to get close to her lol. She is admired from afar...for now.

I have one rooster and 9 hens. But the rooster goes after one of the older hens every single morning when I open the coop. The hen makes a mad dash up to the house to try to get under the deck before he can get to her, but he usually barrels up on her and gets her. She has a bald spot on her back (altho I think she's molting too, not sure). I think he targets her several times a day, because none of the other hens have bald back spots. He also seems to be mean to her in general, I've seen him peck her away from the food.

I've wondered if the roosters don't have a schedule for the hens: Like, okay, you're first, you're second, you're third...

Back
Top Bottom