Hen destroying and eating eggs

VlkStinu

Songster
Aug 6, 2020
Czech Republic
Hi everyone! I've read up about hens pecking on eggs and eating them, but I wanted to ask if you potentially have any personal tips and experiences with this problem.

I have a hen that probably a few weeks back, maybe more, learned to peck on eggs and eat them. I haven't discovered this until recently. I was always finding crushed eggs in the nests and I thought it's a soft-shelled egg (or a normal egg that has been laid later during the day and stayed in the coop overnight - my hens are sleeping in the nests, so it made sense to me they would likely crush the egg) that just has been crushed under the weight of the hen. But after going directly into the coop after seeing laying hens emerging from it, I found healthy and strong eggs, which made me realize that problem is elsewhere. I started checking the nests more often and during coop cleaning, I picked out a clear pattern - when a hen comes laying inside, the hen (the egg eater :D) comes in to check every now and then, waiting for the laying process to be done so she can go right for the egg. It is just this one hen and she apparently got very good at it - I was waiting for a hen to finish laying, went inside my house for a minute, not more, came back, saw the laying hen outside, went to the nests and there she was, already well into the egg which was pecked open.

I was thinking before that I just have to be quicker than her, but this seems like an impossible task now considering she is really waiting for the hen to finish laying. I would have to wait there too and that's just within my time capabilities. :D

Now I don't really mind them eating the eggs, I get the crushed egg, put it outside for other hens to eat and they get important nutritions in this challenging winter season (it's their first winter outside, they are rescued ex-battery hens). But if this would continue later on during spring and summer and she would systematically peck on all eggs, I would start to object. :D

So is this something that she will drop later on, maybe once she finishes her moult, spring starts and she will start laying herself? Or is it a habit that will persist? They have plenty of space, they are fed with all nutrients, etc. - reasons given in the article about this problem don't really seem to be the issue in this case. I think she just found out she can do it (maybe through pecking on soft-shelled eggs that two of my hens lay due to salpingitis), so why wouldn't she? As I mentioned, I don't mind it now, I wouldn't really expect them to lay anyway these winter days, but it would be a shame to lose all the eggs later on in the spring and summer due to her egg addiction. :D

Last edited:
A roll away nesting box may be your best option.
I was thinking about modifications to the nest boxes, but the problem is I have very little space for any modifications because the nests are outside of the coop, as you can see on this picture. I don't really know how I could change this layout without risking safety of the hens (so a weasel or marten couldn't get in).

1610019460481.png

I was thinking about modifications to the nest boxes, but the problem is I have very little space for any modifications because the nests are outside of the coop, as you can see on this picture. I don't really know how I could change this layout without risking safety of the hens (so a weasel or marten couldn't get in).

View attachment 2479284
You would need to remodel the nesting box area that sticks out.
Normally, the gathering of eggs more often works for me and I don’t have a roll away nesting box.
Hopefully someone who has one knows the dimensions to help you determine how to add the device.

It is not ok for your chicken to do this... if she needs extra protein, it can be provided in many other ways. The biggest problem is that she will teach the others to do it. We had a serious problem with an egg eater, and we tried separating her and all that (filling an egg with mustard doesn’t work either - chickens like mustard). Things got super frustrating, and we had 26 pullets about to reach POL and we simply couldn’t have her teaching them this habit.... so she was axed. I felt bad about it, but once egg eating starts it’s almost impossible to stop. I would separate her, feed her some extra protein for awhile then see if she stops upon release. If she goes directly to the nesting box and eats another egg (which is exactly what ours did, right in front of us), I would cull. Immediately.

It is not ok for your chicken to do this... if she needs extra protein, it can be provided in many other ways. The biggest problem is that she will teach the others to do it. We had a serious problem with an egg eater, and we tried separating her and all that (filling an egg with mustard doesn’t work either - chickens like mustard). Things got super frustrating, and we had 26 pullets about to reach POL and we simply couldn’t have her teaching them this habit.... so she was axed. I felt bad about it, but once egg eating starts it’s almost impossible to stop. I would separate her, feed her some extra protein for awhile then see if she stops upon release. If she goes directly to the nesting box and eats another egg (which is exactly what ours did, right in front of us), I would cull. Immediately.
They are provided with extra protein... So I wouldn't see that as a problem. I understand it's quite a difficult problem to solve, but I definitely wouldn't want to solve it in such a definitive way. I am really fond of that hen as I am fond of all others in the flock and I really couldn't do this. I really like the idea of a roll-away nesting box, but so far I don't know how I could make that work for my coop.

You probably need a bigger coop anyway,
so you could use this tiny coop to isolate the egg eater.

Really you need to isolate the eater....she's not likely to stop.

Why do you think I need a bigger coop? It is designed for a maximum of 8 hens and I have 6. It seems to suit them well and it is much easier to heat during the colder nights.

Isolating seems like a harsh and temporary solution. Because what would I achieve by isolation? I could isolate her throughout the day, but she would spend the night in the same coop anyway. And hearing the experience of Aapomp831, she could as well just resume this habit once she is allowed back to the flock.

Is there no way she will stop on her own? When she starts laying by spring?

Now i have seen roll away egg collectors on line but never looked to see how to make one work for me. but if i didnt want to cull her i would get some astroturf and some plywood and make me a roll a way nest box to fit what you have now. Like the ball return on a pool table. Hot egg in the corner pocket under the false bottom of the nest box.

Now i have seen roll away egg collectors on line but never looked to see how to make one work for me. but if i didnt want to cull her i would get some astroturf and some plywood and make me a roll a way nest box to fit what you have now. Like the ball return on a pool table. Hot egg in the corner pocket under the false bottom of the nest box.
This sounds like the best option really, but I still can't wrap my head around the concept. I understand how it should work and I can imagine it working without straw bedding (making the floor of the nest boxes slightly angled, so the egg would roll down to the side where there would be an opening and the egg would roll down to some sort of a compartment I would be able to open from outside but would be otherwise inaccessible. But how would it work with the straw bedding? They usually re-arrange the straw into a bowl and lay the egg in the middle. Also, they sleep in the nest boxes (they don't use the roosts) on the straw, which makes it a bit more difficult as well.

Back
Top Bottom