Hen died after laying egg...

• Thread starter Deleted member 94844
  • Start date
We had three pullets pass separately, between ages 16 weeks to 10 months that were fine one day, then croaked suddenly. We follow organic living, clean chalet coop, everything is to the "rule" of raiding good hens. The each were healthy but died suddenly a few months apart. All three lost ability to stand. One had gleet
The other two who knows. They could have had a parasite.
I wouldn't be concerned unless you have others due suddenly within the week. In meantime, clean coop and hen boxes, provide Organic ACV (with mother) in their waters - 1 TBSP per gal, if providing mealworms or larvae limit to only once or twice a week as treat. Too much protein causes pasty butt. Scratch is good in winter for warmth and encourages foraging in free roam area, you don't need a lot. I provide herbs every other day... I also provide some left over raw veggies like cabbage, celery, carrot, lettuce, broccoli. As treat only. For pullets -layer pellet crumble, for hens reg pellets are their main feed. We provide two waterers for 14 hens year round.
That's the best you can do.
Sorry for my typos. Also, as a side note, we realized after being upset that we lost our ladies, that it's more common than uncommon. And that "save your money on vet fees" because often it takes autopsy to really understand and even then it may not be conclusive. Read up on common diseases and what to do to avoid them. Other than that, there isn't much you can do as these semi-domesticated birds are purpose driven birds - to produce eggs or meat for homestead. They have short lifespans and it's unfortunate when we lose one or another. Enjoy while you have them. ❤️

So im new here and I have had my hens almost a yr. They started laying in October and were all decent sized eggs. They started going into molt so production has slowed but I have one hen who looks like she's on deaths door all of the sudden. Granted every eggs has been up to par size wise with store eggs and some even double yolks and non stop laying all winter with 5-6 eggs but could that be why I'm getting ready to lose one of my gc's?
Normal to molt. Do you add ACV (with mother) to their waters? In winter, provide a treat on occasion, once week - of Grubbly (or similar) Black Soldier Larvae. Give them some veggie scraps, some apple (w/o core). Hang a lettuce head in their pen. For calcium, give back their egg shells! (Bake them on 250 for 30 min, let cool, then crush) add this to their feed.

Back
Top Bottom