hen disappeared for 2 wks, then back-- is she setting somewhere?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frankenchick, Jun 7, 2010.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Stella (BO) disappeared back in mid-May. I thought something had carried her off. Two weeks later, she was out in the yard, looking for food. I was glad to see her, but then she disappeared again. Since then, I've seen her 2 other times. I don't know for sure where she's going, but I suspect she's nesting under the coop. If another hen approaches her, she fluffs up and fans out her wing at them, just like a mother with babies.

If she hatches chicks in a few days, what will she do? Will she bring them out? I have a brooder ready for her but don't know if she'll use it. I suppose they're fairly safe under there, but I don't know how the other hens -- or the rooster -- will react.

2. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Anyone?

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Sounds like you are gonna have some babies soon! [​IMG]

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, sounds like a new family, anytime now. Yes, she will bring them out and will do much better if you let her mingle with the other chickens. She sounds like she knows what she`s doing........Pop

5. chicnfarmer

chicnfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    very exciting! make sure your camera is charged up for when they make their debut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by