Hen ditched an egg that is moving

jlovepj1027

Chirping
Mar 2, 2016
SoCal
My broody threw out an egg that was beyond dirty! It's the only one that is now, wasn't 17 days ago, dirty! But as I set it down, it's jumping all around! Can I save it? I put it in the incubator I made for now and waiting before I do anything else

Also this is my first time doing any of this. So please when giving me direction to do something, be specific and logical in explain in what it is I do. I barely learned how to candle an egg.

If the egg moved its still alive! Is the incubator you made still air or forced air (fan)? You can keep temps around 99+ (Temperatures can be more flexible late in incubation/hatch time) and humidity should be 65-75%. If you put bowls of water in the incubator just make sure you fill them with marbles or rocks in case the chick hatches when you're not around, as new chicks like to drown themselves. Sponges work good for humidity too.

If the egg moved its still alive! Is the incubator you made still air or forced air (fan)? You can keep temps around 99+ (Temperatures can be more flexible late in incubation/hatch time) and humidity should be 65-75%. If you put bowls of water in the incubator just make sure you fill them with marbles or rocks in case the chick hatches when you're not around, as new chicks like to drown themselves. Sponges work good for humidity too.
Thank you! Yes it is still alive! I have the incubator at 100 degrees but I can't get the humidify above 45-50%. It's moving though. Hoping it will be able to break out of its shell. Today would be day 20, when do I start to be concerned at the sign of no pip?

Thank you! Yes it is still alive! I have the incubator at 100 degrees but I can't get the humidify above 45-50%. It's moving though. Hoping it will be able to break out of its shell. Today would be day 20, when do I start to be concerned at the sign of no pip?

Can you hear any peeping? The chick will internally pip into the air cell first then give or take 24 hours it will make a small external pip through the shell. Then give or take another 24 hours it will zip out of the shell and hatch. You can try adding wet sponges to pump up the humidity. And if you want you can candle into the fat end of the egg (the air cell) and see if you can see the beak to see if it internally pipped yet. If the egg is rocking it's probably trying to get into position to pip.

Can you hear any peeping? The chick will internally pip into the air cell first then give or take 24 hours it will make a small external pip through the shell. Then give or take another 24 hours it will zip out of the shell and hatch. You can try adding wet sponges to pump up the humidity. And if you want you can candle into the fat end of the egg (the air cell) and see if you can see the beak to see if it internally pipped yet. If the egg is rocking it's probably trying to get into position to pip.
Ok yes I haven't really heard any peeping although I can't keep my kids quiet long enough to hear anything. It is rocking here and there just not as vigorously as yesterday. Thank you so much!! Also do I remove the shell immediately after it hatches? SorryI am clueless! And I'm so confused even with the eggs my broody is sitting on, do I wait, do I remove the shells, does she remove them? Nowhere when I'm reading does it say what to do with the shells :/

Ok we did hear a LOUD PEEP! Lol so loud we all looked around baffled until the chick did it again. Still rattling but not too much. I'm seriously spending all day and even waking up at night to check on it. Hope all goes well. I cannot get the humidity above 40% with the temperature going up and I have tried everything. However it's another 102 degree day and it is very dry here. Hoping it's good..

Ok yes I haven't really heard any peeping although I can't keep my kids quiet long enough to hear anything. It is rocking here and there just not as vigorously as yesterday. Thank you so much!! Also do I remove the shell immediately after it hatches? SorryI am clueless! And I'm so confused even with the eggs my broody is sitting on, do I wait, do I remove the shells, does she remove them? Nowhere when I'm reading does it say what to do with the shells :/

Removing shells is totally your call. I pull them out from under my hen if I'm checking and they are empty. In the incubator I usually have a few chicks hatch together and then there will be a break in action and I'll clean them out. Some people leave them in until the whole hatch is over. So it's totally up to you!

Ok we did hear a LOUD PEEP! Lol so loud we all looked around baffled until the chick did it again. Still rattling but not too much. I'm seriously spending all day and even waking up at night to check on it. Hope all goes well. I cannot get the humidity above 40% with the temperature going up and I have tried everything. However it's another 102 degree day and it is very dry here. Hoping it's good..

That's good news. I bet you will have an external pip by tomorrow morning!! Are you sure your hygrometer is accurate? If you need higher humidity and you have some new extra sponges at home, just wet them with warm water and keep adding them until your humidity gets higher. Once the chicks pips it might be fine but if you see the membrane turning tan or brown then it's to low.

Removing shells is totally your call. I pull them out from under my hen if I'm checking and they are empty. In the incubator I usually have a few chicks hatch together and then there will be a break in action and I'll clean them out. Some people leave them in until the whole hatch is over. So it's totally up to you!
That's good news. I bet you will have an external pip by tomorrow morning!! Are you sure your hygrometer is accurate? If you need higher humidity and you have some new extra sponges at home, just wet them with warm water and keep adding them until your humidity gets higher. Once the chicks pips it might be fine but if you see the membrane turning tan or brown then it's to low.

I don't see any pips today! However it is peeping back at me! The eggs under my broody are all starting to hatch out! I am so worried! Should I make a pip??

I don't see any pips today! However it is peeping back at me! The eggs under my broody are all starting to hatch out! I am so worried! Should I make a pip??

I wouldn't make a pip until tonight before you go to bed. Once you start an assist it alters the natural process. You heard it peeping last night, so I would give it at least until tonight.

Back
Top Bottom