Hen Dragging Tail

allosaurusrock

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 31, 2015
Near Seattle, WA
Hello BYC! My hen, LeopardTail and I need some help, fast! I came home from school today, and immediately went to check on my chickens. LeopardTail was walking around in the waddling manner of a duck or penguin, and was standing upright, but her torso was very low to the ground and her tail was dragging. It seemed she was having difficulty walking. On closer inspection, I noticed her butt was very poopy. I was worried she had a blocked vent. After all the hens went to sleep, I walked in the coop, picked her up, and brought her in my family's house. I put her in bathtub, inspected her for mites (none found), and washed her, though I have to admit she could have been washed better, but I couldn't really wash her vent area as well as I wanted, as I couldn't hold her and wash her at the same time. (I was home alone). I am expecting to get chicks soon, and I put her in the brooder. I mixed electrolytes, probiotics, and heated up olive oil (to help her poop) in her water. I mixed yogurt with her food. She is now asleep in the brooder, in our living room.

Does anyone know what is going on?

I do not know her age, but she is past laying.

I don't know if this relates, but yesterday I got a really pretty rooster. (He's in quarantine, quite far away, but the hens can see him).

This is what she used to look like:

I love this chicken, so please, any help is appreciated! We plan to take her too the vet ASAP, but my parents' work and my school interfere.
hit.gif

You say she is past laying, but hens are never really pass laying...they just slow down. In doing so, they can become sporadic in laying, and lay odd shaped and overly large eggs.

She sounds like she is egg bound.

Can you feel her tummy? Do you feel an egg inside?

I've not personally dealt with an egg bound issue....but everything you've done thus far is excellent. I know having her in a warm bath can sometimes help the hen pass the egg.

I will link egg bound procedures from a good article below.

Let us know how it goes with her.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

LofMc

Last edited:
On even closer inspection, I found what I believe to be lice nits. Good thing I gave her a bath. I am not entirely sure what I am trying to feel for, and I did massage her tummy and feel around, but I didn't find anything other than her bones.

She went to the vet about a week ago. She has been transferred outside, and is living with my cochin. She had a weird abscess thing in her stomach that had to be drained of fluid.
sickbyc.gif
She is on medication, and is much better!

Back
Top Bottom