Hen dying and I don’t know why + weird poop

Sorensen

Hatching
Oct 29, 2023
I know my hen is dying but I have no idea why or how to help her. She’s 8years old and has been losing weight for a few weeks now, and her poop is bright teal and yellow. What causes poop of this color?

I seen it multiple times before, and every bird I’ve seen it from has died.

Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• F308FACD-B47A-4313-8B7E-AB3A352C285D.jpeg
    F308FACD-B47A-4313-8B7E-AB3A352C285D.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to BYC! :frow

I am sorry your hen is unwell.

Did you or any of your close neighbours put out some rodenticides lately? Here in Germany the turquoise colour will hint to it even in case of secondary poisoning.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

I am sorry your hen is unwell.

Did you or any of your close neighbours put out some rodenticides lately? Here in Germany the turquoise colour will hint to it even in case of secondary poisoning.
Ive not, but i would not be surprised if my neighbor has. He has ran over my birds while they were on my property in the past so i would not put it past him to be poisoning them.

Would poisoning kill a bird so slowly though?

Bright yellow urates in poop is usually due to a reproductive infection that has caused liver problems and water belly. Green poop means bile and she may not be eating enough. Eight years is pretty old, and most all hens will eventually die of a reproductive problem, cancer, water belly, or a crop disorder. When I lose a hen, I usually open the abdomen and look at the organs to try and figure out what was wrong. Sorry about your hen. I would try to make her comfortable, leaving her with her flock as long as possible.

Ive not, but i would not be surprised if my neighbor has. He has ran over my birds while they were on my property in the past so i would not put it past him to be poisoning them.

Would poisoning kill a bird so slowly though?
Yes, as they would slowly bleed out.

Back
Top Bottom