Hen eating a snake???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WindyOaksYokes, Aug 31, 2007.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Today when I was outside visiting my babies, I noticed one of my girls had something... so I walked up to her and she had a small snake and was eating it... when I got closer to see would walk away from me, so I stood still so I could see what kind of snake it was... well since I was doing this all the others had to find out what she had and she took off... I know it was a snake... not sure what kind.. yellow belly and blackish brownish colors on top... we do have copper heads and black snakes around here so not too sure which kind it was... Is this normal??? I never knew chickens to eat snakes... it was about 3 inches long... still a baby... Now I am concerned... where the momma snake is... I dont like them!!!!!!!

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
  3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    My chickens will fight over a small snake.
    There are not that many around any more, but when they find one its eaten very quickly.

Mmmmmm..... PROTEIN!

4. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Talk about reversal on the food chain!!!!

5. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG] no she is not for sale... she is one of the 5 that I have laying right now out of 42 hens LOL

rooster-red... [​IMG] well okay... if she is getting protein... hmmm and she would not give it up... there was no fight ... she simply said "ALL MINE!!!!" and ran off. [​IMG]

I still need to watch out for momma snake though right????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by