Hen eating chicks and rooster spousal abuse!

Shannon82

Hatching
May 10, 2015
Ok, two problems! 1) We have a Buff Orpington hen and she had ruined her eggs that she was sitting (she kept getting on and off at first) so we swapped out for some bantams and some large breed mixed eggs. Well, they started hatching yesterday and she began KILLING the chicks as they hatched!!! By the time we found her she had completely eaten 3 chicks, killed 1 and shoved 4 eggs out of the nest. We threw the remaining eggs into the incubator where they are hatching now. WHY WOULD SHE DO THIS!?!?!?!? and now 2) We stuck her back with our Buff Orpington rooster so she would go back to laying and he beat the snot out of her! He's always been a gentle, excellent rooster. Great with the ladies usually. We've put hens that were still clucking with roosters before and the roosters didn't treat them that way. Why is he beating her? I'm talking the back of her head is scalped and bleeding. We have her separated off so she can heal.

It just seems like she wasn't broody, she doesn't want to be a mom, so she killed them, and pushed the rest out. As for the rooster, he was probably trying to mount her and she didnt want to, so he beat her up. I read a lot about these incidents on the internet they aren't uncommon.

Shannon, how many chickens do you have? If you have just the two adults, I fear that you're destined to have issues with rooster aggression to your hen. I wish you the luck with the integration issues you're facing.

We have 4 adult white Leghorn hens, 1 white Plymouth Rock hen and the Buff Orpington hen that is having the problems. Everyone got along great before and while she was sitting out Buff Orpington rooster got along great with the other hens. Then we got a white Leghorn rooster and separated them off. When I put the Buff Orpington hen back with the Orpington rooster and remaining white Rock hen he began beating her. They're free range and the Leghorns are cooped.

Back
Top Bottom